Trackball for PS4 Atari Flashback Classics?

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
mistersquid

Trackball for PS4 Atari Flashback Classics?

Post by mistersquid »

I have a wired (Kensington) USB trackball that does not seem to register in Atari Flashback Classics vol. 2 (Crystal Castles, Missile Command). The PS4 seems to recognize the device as a mouse.

Can you help me use this device with Atari Flashback Classics vol. 2 for PS4 or recommend a compatible device?

Indeed, are there controllers such as a mouse and keyboard that are compatible with Atari Flashback Classics vol. 2 for PS4?

Thank you for any info in advance.
CodeMystics

Re: Trackball for PS4 Atari Flashback Classics?

Post by CodeMystics »

mistersquid wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:01 pm I have a wired (Kensington) USB trackball that does not seem to register in Atari Flashback Classics vol. 2 (Crystal Castles, Missile Command). The PS4 seems to recognize the device as a mouse.

Can you help me use this device with Atari Flashback Classics vol. 2 for PS4 or recommend a compatible device?

Indeed, are there controllers such as a mouse and keyboard that are compatible with Atari Flashback Classics vol. 2 for PS4?

Thank you for any info in advance.
Hi, the PS4 version of Atari Flashback Classics recognises only the touchpad as a pseudo-mouse device. To have a trackball control the game, it would need to represent itself to the PS4 as a Dualshock 4 touchpad.
mistersquid

MY KINGDOM FOR A TRACKBALL

Post by mistersquid »

CodeMystics wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:49 pm Hi, the PS4 version of Atari Flashback Classics recognises only the touchpad as a pseudo-mouse device. To have a trackball control the game, it would need to represent itself to the PS4 as a Dualshock 4 touchpad.
Thank you for the guidance.

Did not realize the touchpad works as a pseudo-mouse device. Kudos for the engineering. The touchpad is, to my taste, a better controller for trackball games than a thumbstick.

Even so, MY KINGDOM FOR A TRACKBALL.

Nostalgic Gen X-ers and video game Golden Age enthusiasts together might comprise a sizeable evergreen market for a hardware trackball for classic arcade games. Mid-tier consumer pricing (one-time US $200 - $300, please no subscriptions)…

Someone? Anyone?
DSP

Re: Trackball for PS4 Atari Flashback Classics?

Post by DSP »

I was trying this on XBOX One but it didnt work there either. Kensington says if it works with a trackball it will work with there trackball. Atari confirms that support for trackball is not included. You have to go back to PS1 Atari and get a PS1 Nyko trackball or compatible mouse I have the Nyko trackball it works great. Sega master system also had a trackball but I havent tried it.