Kof98UM half circle inputs - new issues

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
albedo58

Kof98UM half circle inputs - new issues

Post by albedo58 »

So in the pre-beta release, there were some major issues inputting half circles and most of that was fixed, but I think there is a new issue. I have a very hard time inputting hcb motions when I'm on the right side (or hcf motions when I'm on the left side). The problem mostly occurs when it has to be input fast (such as for an hcbx2 motion on the left).

I've spoken to some people and one person suggested that the reason this is the case is because the game treats a left+right input, as left. When you have to input hcbx2 motions fast, it is possible that you can have both left and right pressed at the same time (when going from left to right) and this will make the right motion not register, resulting in a misexecution.

To get an idea of how bad this is, I can do a number of combos, including hard cancels with small cancel windows, when I'm on the left side just fine (using hcbx2+P). But on the right side, I can almost never do hcbx2 even by itself (nevermind in combos with small cancel windows). I have no issues doing these on GGPO or in Kof13. I think the theory about left+right being treated as a left input, is correct. Please look into this and correct.
CodeMystics

Re: Kof98UM half circle inputs - new issues

Post by CodeMystics »

albedo58 wrote:I've spoken to some people and one person suggested that the reason this is the case is because the game treats a left+right input, as left. When you have to input hcbx2 motions fast, it is possible that you can have both left and right pressed at the same time (when going from left to right) and this will make the right motion not register, resulting in a misexecution.

To get an idea of how bad this is, I can do a number of combos, including hard cancels with small cancel windows, when I'm on the left side just fine (using hcbx2+P). But on the right side, I can almost never do hcbx2 even by itself (nevermind in combos with small cancel windows). I have no issues doing these on GGPO or in Kof13. I think the theory about left+right being treated as a left input, is correct. Please look into this and correct.
If you go from L to L+R it will register R. If you go from R to L+R it will register L. There is no directional bias.
albedo58

Post by albedo58 »

There is clearly something wrong...test it yourself. Pick Orochi Yashiro, do his hcbx2+P on both sides with a keyboard. The difference is so noticable...for me, my execution is basically 99% accurate on the left side and 5% accurate on the right. This is a massive difference, something is wrong.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

albedo58 wrote:There is clearly something wrong...test it yourself. Pick Orochi Yashiro, do his hcbx2+P on both sides with a keyboard. The difference is so noticable...for me, my execution is basically 99% accurate on the left side and 5% accurate on the right. This is a massive difference, something is wrong.
There is a logging process described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=527. Please record examples of the problem and send them to us by private message.

Please also note that some keyboards have problems with multiple simultaneous key presses. Check your keyboard to ensure that the button sequence you are pressing would actually register.
Flotilla

Post by Flotilla »

albedo58 wrote:There is clearly something wrong...test it yourself. Pick Orochi Yashiro, do his hcbx2+P on both sides with a keyboard. The difference is so noticable...for me, my execution is basically 99% accurate on the left side and 5% accurate on the right. This is a massive difference, something is wrong.
As a fellow keyboard player, I'm having zero issue doing these moves and can successfully execute them 100% of the time. Here's a BIG tip that should help you out a ton:

You don't need to piano HC motions in KOF98UMFE. By inputting only cardinal directions you can still successfully do HC and HC2 motions, no diagonals required. Try doing Forward, Down, Back. You don't need to hold the keys at all!
albedo58

Post by albedo58 »

There is no time to press those keys individually when you need to perform fast inputs (such as to do a quick punish or to do a combo with short cancel window).

The way I do my inputs is the same way I do them in kof98, kof13 and kof2002 and they come out perfectly fine.

I already sent this as a pm to code mystics but I'll post it here as well. Here are my inputs for successful hcbx2 when I'm on the right side(three successes):

3 R R
2 D+R D+R
1 D D
2 D+L D+L
3 L L
4 R R
1 D+R D+R
1 D D
3 D+L D+L
2 L L
2 L+3 L
6 3
2 R R
3 D+R D+R
1 D D
3 D+L D+L
4 L L
4 R R
1 D+R D+R
1 D D
5 D+L D+L
3 L+3 L
6 3
3 R R
3 D+R D+R
1 D D
1 D+L D+L
5 L L
3 R R
2 D+R D+R
1 D D
5 D+L D+L
1 L L
5 L+3 L

And now when I input hcbx2 on the left side. I attempt it three times, all of them fail.

4 L L
6 D+R D+R
2 R R
3 L L
4 D+R D+R
3 R R
3 R+3 R
3 3
3 L L
1 D+L D+L
1 D D
4 D+R D+R
2 R R
3 L L
6 D+R D+R
2 R R
3 R+3 R
3 3
4 L L
2 D+L D+L
1 D D
2 D+R D+R
3 R R
3 L L
7 D+R D+R
3 R+3 R

There are missing down inputs here...this issue has been brought up by JohnXuandou in this thread as well:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/222420/di ... 707682905/
Flotilla

Post by Flotilla »

There certainly is time to execute HCs non-sloppily on keyboard; I can reliably punish recovery with Kaiser flame or Unlimited Desire, both of which are HC moves. I can even buffer Gigantic Cyclone (HCBx3!!!) during rolls and empty jumps.
albedo58

Post by albedo58 »

This is about people that are having the problems, not people who are not. Go away.

I provided the logs, it is not sloppy execution because it works in all the other games that I play. There is no way I'm misinputting my half circles such that I get a left, then no downleft, no down, but a downright..
Flotilla

Post by Flotilla »

I would bet anything that it "works" in those other games you play because their wonky input leniency enables you to be sloppy and inaccurate with your inputs. Your input logs show that you failed to do a proper HCBx2 motion from the left side because you never pressed Down. As I said above, I can do things like Orochi Yashiro's HCBx2 super quickly and reliably 100% of the time from both sides. This tells me (along with your input chart showing that you are omitting Down inputs, a mistake MANY keyboard/hitbox players make with HC motions) that the problem is on your end, not the developer's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDDCHszUw_Q

Watch this video and carefully examine how he performs the HCF motion; Hold back, hold down, stop holding back, hold forward, stop holding down + P. This is how you perform a proper HC motion that will work in any game that has HCs, and not just games that mollycoddle you with input leniency. That being said, KOF98UMFE allows you to do HCs that only contain cardinal directions so you can get away with only having lefts downs and rights in the motion... but you HAVE to take care to actually press Down instead of just glossing over it and immediately hitting the key after.
albedo58

Post by albedo58 »

The input log can show that I'm omitting down inputs, or the more reasonable explanation (as noted by a number of keyboard players), that inputs are not being read correctly.

There are a number of Hitbox users complaining about this, as well as some keyboard users. Also you SHOWED me just how good (or bad rather) your execution was so please don't mention your execution again.

This issue needs addressing because I literally can't use some characters properly on one side, and I have to try to get myself to the other side so that I can use all my options.