KOF98UMFE netcode stuff

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
Miggoh

KOF98UMFE netcode stuff

Post by Miggoh »

I'll just dump some info here regarding the lag issues when using matchmaking lobbies versus private lobbies. Information was gathered with Network Monitor.

Once you enter the multiplayer mode, the game starts to poll other players that are in multiplayer mode (presumably for their ping). The update frequency is pretty high. I received average one TURN:STUN:Binding Request per frame. The amount of established connections and incoming requests/outgoing responses can eat surprisingly lot of your bandwidth.

Worst part is that the connections stay open for a really long time. You can find your opponent and go to a match, but you are still receiving a ton of requests from other users effectively turning the stable connection between two players into something much worse. A 60ms latency can easily have a second or two input delay, depending on how many connections you have open.

Private lobbies don't seem to affected by this. If you are invited into the lobby, you won't get the extra connections either.

The netcode itself is pretty decent. Europe to USA connection was totally playable. However the way you communicate with other players is flawed. You need to somehow drop the other connections when players get matched together.
CodeMystics

Re: KOF98UMFE netcode stuff

Post by CodeMystics »

Miggoh wrote:I'll just dump some info here regarding the lag issues when using matchmaking lobbies versus private lobbies. Information was gathered with Network Monitor.

Thanks for this detailed analysis. You rock!
albedo58

Post by albedo58 »

Miggoh wrote: Once you enter the multiplayer mode, the game starts to poll other players that are in multiplayer mode (presumably for their ping). The update frequency is pretty high. I received average one TURN:STUN:Binding Request per frame. The amount of established connections and incoming requests/outgoing responses can eat surprisingly lot of your bandwidth.

Worst part is that the connections stay open for a really long time. You can find your opponent and go to a match, but you are still receiving a ton of requests from other users effectively turning the stable connection between two players into something much worse. A 60ms latency can easily have a second or two input delay, depending on how many connections you have open.

Private lobbies don't seem to affected by this. If you are invited into the lobby, you won't get the extra connections either.
Well at first when I read this I was excited that perhaps you have discovered why the games are so laggy but then I remembered that the lag I've been constantly experiencing occurs in private lobbies...so there's something else going wrong in addition to this.
Miggoh

Post by Miggoh »

albedo58 wrote: Well at first when I read this I was excited that perhaps you have discovered why the games are so laggy but then I remembered that the lag I've been constantly experiencing occurs in private lobbies...so there's something else going wrong in addition to this.
There's actually a reason for that too, I just don't know why it occurs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00x9vgjpao253 ... e.png?dl=0

The amount of data the host sends gets bigger and bigger. It can happen withing the first match or after multiple matches. When the UDPPayload hits 100 bytes per packet the game becomes unplayable.
Flotilla

Post by Flotilla »

Miggoh wrote:
albedo58 wrote: Well at first when I read this I was excited that perhaps you have discovered why the games are so laggy but then I remembered that the lag I've been constantly experiencing occurs in private lobbies...so there's something else going wrong in addition to this.
There's actually a reason for that too, I just don't know why it occurs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00x9vgjpao253 ... e.png?dl=0

The amount of data the host sends gets bigger and bigger. It can happen withing the first match or after multiple matches. When the UDPPayload hits 100 bytes per packet the game becomes unplayable.
I hope this issue can be resolved just as Code Mystics will resolve the "pinging dozens of IPs every second while ingame" issue. The netcode will be substantially improved as a result.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Thanks to your research, we were able to zero in on these issues quickly. The V1.01 beta now contains a few changes that should address these specific issues. More here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/222420/di ... 792416671/