NBA Jam connection issues

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
mremis

NBA Jam connection issues

Post by mremis »

I just got the NBA Jam cabinet, super excited about online play.

I've set it up, opened the correct port and am trying to connect to people online but every game the connection is in the red or orange. I'm on 500mbps fibre, the cabinet is next to the router so the wifi should be very strong. (Although I have a 5g and 2.4g network and I can't tell which is which on my cabinet)

Is there anything that I can do to check my cabinet's connection signal stregth/connectability?

I'm not getting disconnects like other people who have NAT issues, just a low quality connection and high ping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CodeMystics

Re: NBA Jam connection issues

Post by CodeMystics »

mremis wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:49 am I just got the NBA Jam cabinet, super excited about online play.

I've set it up, opened the correct port and am trying to connect to people online but every game the connection is in the red or orange. I'm on 500mbps fibre, the cabinet is next to the router so the wifi should be very strong. (Although I have a 5g and 2.4g network and I can't tell which is which on my cabinet)

Is there anything that I can do to check my cabinet's connection signal stregth/connectability?

I'm not getting disconnects like other people who have NAT issues, just a low quality connection and high ping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, the red/orange status bar corresponds to an approximation of ping. Ping can be low for a few reasons. Do you get good ping on other devices? Are they wired or wireless? One issue might be the way some WiFi routers consolidate traffic, delaying transmission into less frequent, larger bursts. Since your cabinet is next to your router, you might consider getting a cheap USB Ethernet adapter (they can be had for about $10 on Amazon) to rule out WiFi as the issue. The cabinet supports USB Ethernet adapters via its micro USB port, so you might also need a micro-USB to regular USB-A adapter, depending on the USB Ethernet device you get.

(Note: your WiFi signal strength is indicated by the icon on the top left of the screen, and is distinct from the ping meter you're referring to.)
mremis

Post by mremis »

thanks for the reply. my wifi signal strength is full. i don't usually get low ping, when I play other games online.

i just discovered that my port 1972 isn't actually open. apparently port forwarding doesn't work on the router/modem provided by my cable company - after some googling there are many people who have had the same issue where they tell it to forward ports but they aren't actually forwarded.

*edit: by low ping, I mean poor ping like in the red. Low ping is actually good but in the red to green meter low is bad.
Last edited by mremis on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

mremis wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:56 pm thanks for the reply. my wifi signal strength is full. i don't usually get low ping, when I play other games online.

i just discovered that my port 1972 isn't actually open. apparently port forwarding doesn't work on the router/modem provided by my cable company - after some googling there are many people who have had the same issue where they tell it to forward ports but they aren't actually forwarded.
If the port isn't open, it will not connect to game play at all.

Packet clustering is independent of signal strength and can happen with strong signal.
mremis

Post by mremis »

Ok thank you I will try the Ethernet adapter first
mremis

Post by mremis »

yup got the ethernet adapter, now get a constant steady connection. before it was bouncing all over the place from red to green and back. thank you! can't wait to play online.