I'd like to Private Message one of the developers

If you have a comment that doesn't fit in the Support or Feedback forums, post it here!
Sombreuil

I'd like to Private Message one of the developers

Post by Sombreuil »

Hello,

there are a couple of things I'd like to ask regarding Garou:MoW and I assume that it'd be better in private message due to the specific questions I have (cheat codes, replacing some files, etc). Sadly I didn't find how to do it.

Thanks in advance!
CodeMystics

Re: I'd like to Private Message one of the developers

Post by CodeMystics »

If it's something we can answer, it'd be best to post it here so others who might be interested can benefit from the answer.

However, now that your account has been screened, Private Messaging is enabled on your account, so if that's the route you prefer, you can use that.
Sombreuil

Post by Sombreuil »

I just thought that it could be problematic to ask publicly how to remove or add certain things. Though since it seems to be fine for you guys, I'll just ask here.

I'm one of the persons who created the Garou Discord, I've played the game for thousands of hours during the last ten years and as you can imagine there are a some things I'd like to be able to do in the game. The first one would be to be able to turn the music off while playing. I removed the OGG files in the "ui_sound" folder and it seems to work well when I'm in the menus. Though, as expected the music comes back when I enter the character select screen and, obviously, the match itself. Is there a way to turn it off completely? Would I need to edit one of the .bin files (if so, how and which one?).

Also, someone made a recording tool for the MVS/AES system and more specifically for Garou (but it obviously also works with other MVS games such as KoF, Samsho, etc). So far we were somehow using it through MAME and sadly have encountered many problems due to MAME acting super weirdly. The method was to use both infinite life and time in versus mode, use said tool to record an action then replay it back.
I tried that tool with the Steam version and it actually works super well, better than expected actually. The problem is as you guys already know, it is impossible to select those options in the game. We tried to switch the game back to MVS by adding the roms into the game folder but then the game goes back to the AES/Steam version, so we're stuck.
As you already tell me in the Steam forums, SNK most likely won't allow you to add an option for that, so I'd like to know if there was a way to manually do that by modifying certain files or by using a cheat file? That's by far the thing we're looking to the most.

Thanks for the potential answers!
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

In-game music is synthesised by the (emulated) Neo Geo hardware. It doesn't use samples. The .ogg files as you note are only for the UI.

The emulator makes no distinction between music and sound effects, which is why there's only a single volume control for both. The original ROM says "make a noise" and it makes a noise. Some of those noises are sound effects and some of those noises are music, but the emulator doesn't know the difference.

Likely the only reasonable way to get rid of music in-game is to alter the game's original sound ROMs. Only, if you alter the sound ROMs, you won't be playing the same game as everyone else, and the result will likely be a desync in any online game.

There are also no cheat codes to do what you want. Again, the emulator is running the original ROMs without care for context. It takes inputs and feeds it to the ROM code, and it draws what the ROM code says to draw. It doesn't know what any of it means.

So, like sounds, if you wanted to alter the functionality, you'd have to alter the ROM, but altering the ROM would again mean you're running different code than everyone else. Different code means different timing and differing responses and that will mean desyncs.

Unfortunately, even if you want to go that route anyway (e.g. only playing against others with the same alterations), we can't help you with what "altering the ROM" entails. That's reverse engineering, which requires investing significant effort and technical understanding.
Sombreuil

Post by Sombreuil »

Thanks for the answers! For the music that's pretty much what I expected due to the bitrate that seemed way lower compared to the OGG files.

I've got a very last question then. If I buy the game on GoG and use IDA to edit some of the files, would it be possible to change both the life and time values?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

We're sure there's a change that would change damage response or the clock, but again if you had the change and your opponent didn't, you would desync.
Sombreuil

Post by Sombreuil »

Yeah I understood that, that's why I was referring to the GoG version since I already have Steam's. I want to play offline with a modified version in order to change both values and then use the tool I was mentioning in my other messages.

Since that seems possible, would it be possible to know how to do it?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Sorry, see our answer above:
Unfortunately, even if you want to go that route anyway ... we can't help you with what "altering the ROM" entails. That's reverse engineering, which requires investing significant effort and technical understanding.
That is, we know it's doable, but don't have the answer as to how to do it.
Blasianblazy

Post by Blasianblazy »

CodeMystics wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm If it's something we can answer, it'd be best to post it here so others who might be interested can benefit from the answer.

However, now that your account has been screened, Private Messaging is enabled on your account, so if that's the route you prefer, you can use that.
can i be screened to be abled to send PM as well
its all regarding phantom dust
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Blasianblazy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:36 am
CodeMystics wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm If it's something we can answer, it'd be best to post it here so others who might be interested can benefit from the answer.

can i be screened to be abled to send PM as well
its all regarding phantom dust
You can contact us via PM, but we do encourage everyone to ask questions publicly for the benefit of others.