Disconnecting during post-stats screen

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
teddyy80

Re: Disconnecting during post-stats screen

Post by teddyy80 »

trc just kicked me out of a game. Probably because I was up 47 on him. I get a message that if I leave in the middle of a game I get a penalty. How am I penalized and he's the one who kicked me out of the game. I never did get that kick question answered on arcade1up's page about how does it work and when can one use it.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm trc just kicked me out of a game. Probably because I was up 47 on him. I get a message that if I leave in the middle of a game I get a penalty. How am I penalized and he's the one who kicked me out of the game. I never did get that kick question answered on arcade1up's page about how does it work and when can one use it.
Hi, do you mean the Reddit page? As we said there, the Kick function is not available to your opponent in the middle of a game.

Can you describe specifically what was going on and what you were doing the moment the game disconnected? Can you describe what messages appeared on the screen? For any disconnection, such as loss of Internet (even being kicked) you would see a notice explaining the reason for the disconnect, and you would get a warning and an ability to change your mind before it proceeded.

The report on our server indicates an intentional disconnect by you, either by holding the P1 button for 5 seconds, or by selecting Leave This Game. This message cannot be produced by any other method. If you do not believe you did either of these things, perhaps check the P1 Start button to ensure it is working correctly?

Were you buying quarter-by-quarter? It is possible that your opponent activated the Kick menu before you bought into the next quarter (thus you were a spectator at that moment), but confirmed the kick after you'd bought in. If that's the case, you would've got a notice that you had been kicked from the game, but unfortunately, if you chose "Leave This Game" at that point, a penalty may have been applied. If this sounds right, we will look into that possibility, but in the meantime you can avoid this penalty by choosing to continue the game you've been kicked from and then selecting to leave again once it acknowledges the other player is gone.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Hey. I do buy in quarter at a time but in this case I promise you I was playing during a quarter and all of a sudden it came up with a message saying that the user kicked me and did I want to continue the game or leave without a penalty. I left and when I got to the main leaderboard screen a message came up saying that if I leave in the middle of a game that I would receive a penalty. It didn't say that I did receive one but that I would receive a penalty if I left during the middle of a game.

Okay it just happened again but this time I joined and was just a spectator and didn't get a chance to pick a player. The message said the user has just removed me from the game. Did I want to continue or leave without penalty.
Last edited by teddyy80 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:41 pm Hey. I do buy in quarter at a time but in this case I promise you I was playing during a quarter and all of a sudden it came up with a message saying that the user kicked me and did I want to continue the game or leave without a penalty. I left and when I got to the main leaderboard screen a message came up saying that if I leave in the middle of a game that I would receive a penalty. It didn't say that I did receive one but that I would receive a penalty if I left during the middle of a game.
Had the quarter just started? Here's how the situation can arise:

When you have not yet bought in between quarters, you are a spectator. At that time, the other user can bring up the "Kick" menu to start the process of kicking you out. As it stands, the user can stay on that kick menu for as long as they want (though they can't control the game while they do that). So, let's say they sit on the Kick menu for 30 seconds. While they sit idle on that menu, you press the Start button to buy into the next quarter. Maybe the quarter even starts. At that point, they press the confirm button on their Kick menu, and you get kicked.

At that point, you get a message saying you've been kicked and have the choice to Leave or Continue.

Here's where the bug exists: if you say "Leave" at that moment, it counts as you quitting, because the order of things gets confused. If you are kicked, the workaround is for you to select "Continue" and then bring up the Live menu and select "Leave This Game" a second time. ("Leave This Game" should not mention a penalty at that time.) Then you will not be penalised for them kicking you.

We're sorry for the inconvience and will fix this in the next update, but this workaround should help you avoid penalties in the meantime.

Note: if they had not started the Kick process before you bought into the next quarter, the Kick option would become unavailable to them. They can only finish Kick actions they initiated before you bought in.
Okay it just happened again but this time I joined and was just a spectator and didn't get a chance to pick a player. The message said the user has just removed me from the game. Did I want to continue or leave without penalty.
By spectator, we mean you have not even pressed a Start button. The act of pressing a Start button means you are no longer a spectator, even if you haven't finished picking a player. If you had so much as pressed the Start button, this would make sense, and becomes the same situation as above. For now, you can solve this the same way: select "Continue" then bring up the Live menu again and should no longer say you will get a penalty.

If you have any other questions about these behaviours, it would be most appreciated if you could include photos of the messages you see on the screen next time you encounter them.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Well I just lost a game to a guy who had 121 losses due to the game cutting off in the 4th quarter going straight to the leaderboard screen. I went back to Hangtime and I saw that a loss was on my record. I was 126-0 with that user/pin character. And I was up 28 at the time. Man what's going on?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 pm Well I just lost a game to a guy who had 121 losses due to the game cutting off in the 4th quarter going straight to the leaderboard screen. I went back to Hangtime and I saw that a loss was on my record. I was 126-0 with that user/pin character. And I was up 28 at the time. Man what's going on?
A rage quit results in a loss. The one you mention above (from the Kick/Leave issue) would've been responsible for that loss, when you saw the message, "Leaving an online game in the middle will result in a penalty."

Would you be able to elaborate on what you mean by "the game cut off in the 4th quarter"? How far into the 4th quarter were you? What was happening at the time? Did you see any messages or did the screen just go black and go to the main menu without warning?
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

I was about a minute into the fourth up at least 25 to 28 and the screen went blank. No message or warning. Then it went to the leaderboard screen. I went back into Hangtime and saw that there was a loss on my record. Kind of amazing and funny, whatever user/pin I play a full game with will show up on the leaderboard. The record with the loss was on the board for about 10 minutes and I got about 8 to 10 messages on my private page I have about me losing and who I lost to.
Last edited by teddyy80 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 pm I was about a minute into the fourth up at least 25 to 28 and the screen went blank. No message or warning. Then it went to the leaderboard screen. I went back into Hangtime and saw that there was a loss on my record. Kind of amazing and funny, whatever user/pin I play a full game with will show up on the leaderboard. The record with the loss was on the board for about 10 minutes and I got about 8 to 10 messages on my private page I have about me losing and who I lost to.
The loss you describe would've been caused by a penalty, but you only have one penalty reported across all your user/pins, and it was just a few minutes before you posted "trc just kicked me out of a game", specifically at 5:54pm Pacific time. There have been no other penalties recorded against your account.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Why would I receive a penalty playing a game I was beating somebody that kicked me out of it?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:23 pm Why would I receive a penalty playing a game I was beating somebody that kicked me out of it?
Like we explained above, the kick was confused with a quit because of the timing of things. Until there's a patch, you can avoid this in the future by following the workaround we suggested.

The reason it counts as a loss even though you were beating them:

If you had legitimately quit (we understand you did not), it would've still counted as a loss as Arcade1Up wished to discourage "quit while you're ahead" behaviour.