Atari Greatest Hits reloaded from Google Play

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
Kid Sherpa

Atari Greatest Hits reloaded from Google Play

Post by Kid Sherpa »

Please help.

Years ago I purchased the complete version of Atari Greatest Hits (android) from the Google Play store. I love the package. I recently got a new phone, s10e. Though the app is no longer available on Google Plays store front, I was able to reload it from Google Play under my acount/my apps (thanks I learned that option from your iOS post). But upon launch it says unable to reach marketplace and abruptly closes. Is there a way to fix this? I paid for the title/software. Google play even shows this as it is in "my apps" on Google play

Thanks in SoCal.
Kid Sherpa
CodeMystics

Re: Atari Greatest Hits reloaded from Google Play

Post by CodeMystics »

Kid Sherpa wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:02 pm Please help.

Years ago I purchased the complete version of Atari Greatest Hits (android) from the Google Play store. I love the package. I recently got a new phone, s10e. Though the app is no longer available on Google Plays store front, I was able to reload it from Google Play under my acount/my apps (thanks I learned that option from your iOS post). But upon launch it says unable to reach marketplace and abruptly closes. Is there a way to fix this? I paid for the title/software. Google play even shows this as it is in "my apps" on Google play

Thanks in SoCal.
Kid Sherpa
Unfortunately Atari pulled the game from the Google store after they chose not to upgrade it when Google revamped their in-app purchase mechanisms. There was a replacement that they also discontinued many years ago. It's likely that it is trying to contact the marketplace by old methods that no longer work in order to restore your purchases. Just speculating, you may be able to get into the app by launching while your device is in Airplane Mode. But if this is the original version 1 app, there will be no way to restore your purchases since it can no longer contact the store.

So unfortunately this is a situation similar to buying a Windows XP product that no longer works on Windows 10. The operating system evolved but the product did not keep up. Sorry we can't be of more help.
Kid Sherpa

Post by Kid Sherpa »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did try under airplane mode, but to no avail. Same issue. I don't think this is an OS issue, but I could be wrong since it ran on my old phone just 1 OS rev old. I wonder if it is the app wanting to check licenses (how many and which games) i purchased for the app off of Google play. I will check with them - Google play. I realized they took it down for sale but they should maintain support for purchasers. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Your company made a GREAT product!
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Kid Sherpa wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:58 am Thanks for your prompt reply. I did try under airplane mode, but to no avail. Same issue. I don't think this is an OS issue, but I could be wrong since it ran on my old phone just 1 OS rev old. I wonder if it is the app wanting to check licenses (how many and which games) i purchased for the app off of Google play. I will check with them - Google play. I realized they took it down for sale but they should maintain support for purchasers. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Your company made a GREAT product!
It's been about seven years since we've worked on the product, so this is speculation at this point, but we think when the game first launches after a new install, it attempts to contact the store to see if there were any prior purchases under your account that it needs to restore. Once (if) that process succeeds, it won't do it again. So, even though the store mechanisms would've also been broken on your old phone's OS, it wouldn't have had any reason to contact the store again (unless you tried to buy something new) which would be why you didn't see the problem there. Once you installed on the new phone, it began contacting the store automatically again, and that's when it would start hitting the problem immediately.