Arcade1up NBA Jam software updates

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
rhuneke

Arcade1up NBA Jam software updates

Post by rhuneke »

Hi,

Just got the NBA Jam cabinet from Arcade1up about a week ago. LOVE IT! You guys did an excellent job. I am hoping you will be dropping updates that will make the game and online play even better. Perhaps update the roster. Maybe add MK secret players? Will you be adding any lobbies or improvements to the online play. There is a bit of dropout when playing games and I have pretty fast FIOS internet. Hoping something can be done to improve that. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

RH
CodeMystics

Re: Arcade1up NBA Jam software updates

Post by CodeMystics »

rhuneke wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 pm Hi,

Just got the NBA Jam cabinet from Arcade1up about a week ago. LOVE IT! You guys did an excellent job. I am hoping you will be dropping updates that will make the game and online play even better. Perhaps update the roster. Maybe add MK secret players? Will you be adding any lobbies or improvements to the online play. There is a bit of dropout when playing games and I have pretty fast FIOS internet. Hoping something can be done to improve that. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

RH
Hi, thanks for your message. The MK players were removed in the final version of NBA Jam TE back in the '90s, at the direction of the NBA itself. They are unlikely to be re-added. Adding people to the roster that have been removed in this release depends on Arcade1Up's negotiations with the individual players. Certainly they did an amazing effort of securing the players they did over a year or so preceding the release. We can't say whether the hold-outs may change their mind in the future, but we know Arcade1Up put significant effort into trying to secure the cooperation of everyone they could.

There are no plans to add lobbies. The design is meant to mimic the arcade experience where people can "walk up" or "walk away" from your machine as they see fit. Functionally, it already operates much like a lobby.

Regarding online play, people with certain routers have reports of connectivity issues joining a game. This issue seems to be fairly systematic in those that experience it, and will be addressed in an update.

Dropouts once connected are more likely just a factor of the quality of the connection between you and the other player, as well as your and their WiFi quality. For the best experience, a wired connection is better, though it's only as good as the participant with the weakest connection.
rhuneke

Post by rhuneke »

Thanks for the feedback!!!! :D
rhuneke

Post by rhuneke »

PLEASE fix bailout issue on Arcade1up NBA Jam! It's really frustrating when players leave games and the player turns into a dummy. Please have the player turn into a CPU player once a human player abandons a game AND please penalize people who leave games without reason. Connection issues could use improving too. THANKS!!!!! (Great game...just would love to see it be GREATER!!!!) ALSO...is there a way to capture and CATEGORIZE players internet speeds? It would be nice to see the people with the FASTEST internet speeds (since this cab doesn't support 5g on wifi, but maybe with USB to RJ45 dongle...not sure). That would help players pick games that are just as fast as their own internet speed and reduce the likelihood of those awful "stuttering" games and drop outs! ALSO...when you do release updates, will there be an option to NOT UPDATE, just in case an update renders the game problematic. I've had this issue with Apple smartphones. I never update until I am SURE the update is worry free. Would be great to be able to do the same here. God forbid an update "bricks" the cab like I've sometimes seen with smartphones. Ugh!
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Unfortunately, we can't have departing players turn into CPU players. That's not something the arcade game could do, and since it's an emulation we are restricted by what the arcade game is able to do.

Re: rejecting updates, you always have an option not to update. When an update is available it prompts you and asks you if want to apply it. You can say "no". If you say "no" it remains available on the Live menu in case you change your mind later. However, some updates are required if you want to continue to participate in online play. The last one was and then next one will have the same requirement.
rhuneke

Post by rhuneke »

Oh well. It was worth asking. Thanks again!
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Hey my NBA JAM is supposed to come tomorrow. I have been looking at tons of videos about the reviews of it and everyone has raved about it. I have a couple of suggestions. Put an update allowing the backboard to be shattered in Tournament Edition and Hangtime. Also consider making the cabinet taller and wider for better play for player 1 and 4. Height and length should be enough to support a 24 inch screen monitor (call it the Kobe edition). Pretty sure people will pay extra for that rather than LED light and stool (which are tight by the way).
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:05 pm Hey my NBA JAM is supposed to come tomorrow. I have been looking at tons of videos about the reviews of it and everyone has raved about it. I have a couple of suggestions. Put an update allowing the backboard to be shattered in Tournament Edition and Hangtime. Also consider making the cabinet taller and wider for better play for player 1 and 4. Height and length should be enough to support a 24 inch screen monitor (call it the Kobe edition). Pretty sure people will pay extra for that rather than LED light and stool (which are tight by the way).
Hi, as these games are arcade emulations, we cannot add gameplay features that did not exist in the original ROMs. Additionally, the general philosophy behind the recreations is to make them as accurate to the original as we are permitted.

For "updates" to the cabinet, you'd have to talk to Tastemakers. We make the software but have no involvement in the hardware.

We hope you enjoy your cabinet when it arrives!
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Hey thanks for responding. I have my cabinet put together but I have a huge problem. I playing all 3 games (not online) and there is a huge INPUT LAG when I press the buttons and move the stick. Can that be fixed?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 pm Hey thanks for responding. I have my cabinet put together but I have a huge problem. I playing all 3 games (not online) and there is a huge INPUT LAG when I press the buttons and move the stick. Can that be fixed?
That should not be happening. Can you estimate how much of a delay? It sounds like a hardware issue. For that you'd have to contact customer support.