Garou Steam charge input bug

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
IceBlade

Garou Steam charge input bug

Post by IceBlade »

Hey,

Really been enjoying the Steam version of Garou and its excellent netcode.

I've been experiencing a crazy specific issue in regards to charge input buffer when playing on keyboard, which I've run across with multiple players I know.

When playing Kain specifically on keyboard, the only character to have 2 charge buffer inputs, I cannot buffer down+back into his Schwarze Lanze (charge down, up) move. That's his Flash Kick move. I'm specifically doing {21}8+B/D inputs. I can do this perfectly on controller and even on various emulators with keyboard support. I do not have this problem with Jae Hoon, Gato, and Rock, who only have charge down, up moves. It feels like the down charge input gets eaten at some point.

I know it's a really big ask for an issue that probably only affects an extremely small amount of people who play this game on keyboard, but I thought I'd raise this issue to you guys in the vague hopes that it might get fixed. If you'd like me to record a video with an overlay showing inputs I'd be more than happy to.

Thanks!
CodeMystics

Re: Garou Steam charge input bug

Post by CodeMystics »

Could you perform the following test for us, please?
  1. Right click on Garou in your Steam library, select Properties, go to the Beta tab
  2. Enter the beta access code "desynctester" and click "Check Code"
  3. Once the code is accepted, select "desynctester" from the "beta" drop down above and then Close
  4. Once the update download is complete, run the game
  5. Go into Practice, select Kain, and do the move three times successfully with a joystick
  6. Attempt the move three times with the keyboard
  7. Press the F11 key
  8. If you are prompted about File Transfer Protocol requesting access to the Internet, allow it
This process will record your inputs and send them to us so we can see what might be going on.

When you have completed the above steps, you can opt out of the beta and switch back to the main branch in the Beta tab (repeat Step 1, then select "NONE" in step 3 above).
IceBlade

Post by IceBlade »

Hi!

I believe I've figured out the issue.

It's not a bug in how charge inputs are handled, but a difference in how simultaneous opposite cardinal directional presses are treated as compared to other versions of Garou I've played. This obviously would only affect people playing on keyboard and Hitbox controllers.

The closest comparison I have is Final Burn Alpha, but I know various other emulators treated this the same way (though I'm not how retail ports using inhouse emulators behave).

In your version of Garou on Steam, I can hold back+forward and my character will walk the direction I pressed last. Same with down+up presses.

In FBA, the same combination of inputs will be treated as the 'stick' being in neutral, or the 5 position. This is also true with other emulators.

I can still do the tests if you want, but it's not a bug and I don't want you guys to go to the trouble of fixing it. It's something I'll have to be aware of, it just felt different to me and a few others and jumped to a conclusion that it was a bug :(
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Glad to hear you've sorted it out. That was our suspicion, too, but couldn't confirm without logging your keyboard inputs. We were able to execute the move, so wanted to see what was different in your case. If you're satisfied, we don't need you to perform the tests.

Garou (and all our SNK ports) have a feature that prevents simultaneous up+down or left+right, but it's more complicated than just making it neutral. It's intended to make half-circle moves work better on keyboard.