Huge Input Lag in Garou for PS4

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
Wolfrock

Huge Input Lag in Garou for PS4

Post by Wolfrock »

Hi,

I bought Garou for PS4 and PS Vita an I am noticing a huge input lag in Garou for PS4. I run my PS4 on a TV in game mode and play a lot of fighting games on PS4, Xbox 360 and so on. Games like SF5, Last Blade 2, Samurai Showdown 6 run really well but the input lag in Garou is too huge. I cannot pull off difficult combos that include Breaking and Feints. Even normal movement feels too slow and delayed.

@CodeMystics: Can you reduce the input lag in Garou with a patch? Is there any option in the game that might reduce input lag?

I have played Garou on many consoles over 17 years, including Neo Geo. With this input lag the game is not playable for me on PS4.
I tried some arcade sticks, PS4 controller via cable or wireless - the input lag stays the same. Please help!
CodeMystics

Re: Huge Input Lag in Garou for PS4

Post by CodeMystics »

You are referring to local or online play?
Wolfrock

Post by Wolfrock »

Local play.

The Input lag really stands out when I do a shift in direction, like movin right and then to the left. But it is also affecting the attack commands. Im not talking about a whole second here but the delay is still big.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Last Blade 2 and Garou use the same control code, though they are both emulations so there may be something in the original ROM that is responsible. We are investigating. Are there any special skill/character choices you are making?

Do you notice this same input lag on the UI menus? For example, if you go from the main menu to Options and Display Options and then change a display option, can you notice the same lag between pressing the button and the option changing?
Wolfrock

Post by Wolfrock »

I notice the input lag already in the character selection menu. Main menu seems ok to me, like in Last Blade 2. Except character selection menu the UI seems ok for me overall. I tried all options in Video Options and checked every scenario but lag didn't change.

When it comes to characters I notice lag with everyone. Most of the time I play with Butt, Terry, Kevin, Rock and Grant. If I do harder combos I get used to the lag after a while and manage to pull them off, but overall gameplay feels too delayed and hitconfirm with Break move launchers is difficult. Like breaking Terrys dragonpunch (623+K) and do Buster Wolf (super special) after you have seen with your eye that you landed a hit. In this version I realize that too late and the opponent drops too fast. My Buster Wolf comes out too late.

If one is not used to the lag, Rock Howards Deadly Rave feels uncomfortable too.

I played Garou on Xbox 360 for comparison again and I indeed see the results of my inputs faster.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Hi,

What we were asking you to check in the video options was the responsiveness of the menu itself. We wanted to be sure that it was only the emulated game that had any perceivable lag. We didn't mean to suggest that changing the options would affect perceived lag.

The Xbox 360 version is not an emulation, so we can't comment on that implementation.

Most all the lag we see appears to be in the original Neo Geo code. We're uncertain if you're experiencing something more.
Wolfrock

Post by Wolfrock »

Like I said the responsiveness of the main menu seems ok for me. Other menus like video options are good too. If I press a direction to change an option, it changes fast.

There might be a very slight delay in all menus, I can hardly realize. It is quite a difference compared to the lag in character selection and real gameplay.

I am not familiar with codes of games and I am not a developer, but the original Neo Geo Version like the cartridge has no lag like this one, if I play on an old tube tv. I have played this game that much so I know. I wonder what might be the reason for this. Can the code of the emulation be modified by an update to reduce lag?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

We again compared Last Blade 2 and Garou and find the same input latency due to the original ROMs.

Can you confirm that you are seeing something significantly different between Garou and LB2 in terms of response to a movement control in training?
u_omer

Post by u_omer »

Input lag of the game seems OK to me, i made a video so you can compare my lag with the lag you're experiencing. I'm using Hori real arcade pro 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8PACYTK7yY
Wolfrock

Post by Wolfrock »

CodeMystics wrote:We again compared Last Blade 2 and Garou and find the same input latency due to the original ROMs.

Can you confirm that you are seeing something significantly different between Garou and LB2 in terms of response to a movement control in training?
Yes, I can confirm the input latency in Garou is bigger than in LB2 in terms of response to a movement control in training. Changing move direction and crouching is more delayed in my point of view. For me this is significant, even though I think many (casual) players won't notice and continue having fun playing.

For me it is difficult in this version to play local with a friend and do proper hit confirm. I try to see what's on the screen and react properly, not hammering inputs in advance. So input lag makes it difficult if you rely on reactions.

@u_omer: Thx for the effort and your opinion, but I can hardly evaluate a video when it comes to input lag. I can only realize the lag by playing.