MDOC Marc Williams code

If you have a comment that doesn't fit in the Support or Feedback forums, post it here!
teddyy80

MDOC Marc Williams code

Post by teddyy80 »

Hey I just played and saw him as a secret character on NBA Hangtime. His 2000 and 2099 code doesn't work. I have looked everywhere for his name & pin. What is it?
teddyy80

Re: MDOC Marc Williams code

Post by teddyy80 »

A guy who said he saw the source code (not sure if it's from Arcade1up or original cabinet) but he said it was strange. It had MDOC but the pin was two,zer,nul,nul.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

The Arcade1Up cabinet is an emulation, which means it's running the arcade ROM. Save for the possibility that the source code was not of the same final release version, they are the same.

With that said, we have no knowledge of the original source code operation. Still NUL suggests an unenterable number.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Since you obviously have access to the source code and he's already in the game why don't you update the code to the 2099 that it's supposed to be? You guys haven't done an update since February and it would show players/people that you are still updating the game. We figured more players would have been added to Hangtime by now.

Oh I just contacted Arcade1up with this same request just in case you say they have to give you guys permission first.
Last edited by teddyy80 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:23 pm Since you obviously have access to the source code and he's already in the game why don't you update the code to the 2099 that it's supposed to be? You guys haven't done an update since February and it would show players/people that you are still updating the game. We figured more players would have been added to Hangtime by now.

Oh I just contacted Arcade1up with this same request just in case you say they have to give you guys permission first.
We feel we've been repeating this answer over and over to you since for the better part of a year now. So we're going to give this answer one last time. Please refer back to this response next time you have an urge to ask "why didn't/don't you X?" regarding original game play.

This is an emulation. Please understand what emulation is. Contrary to what you assert, we did not have access to source code at the time of development. This recreation is not made from the arcade source code, it is made via emulation of the hardware, in order to run the arcade ROMs, and the arcade ROMs only, which makes it accurate to the arcade game. Alterations had to be performed, to the limited extent required by licensors, but this also was done without source code. It was done via binary edits and reverse engineering. As to MDOC, it is not "supposed to be" available via the 2099 code. It is supposed to be disabled in release, because that's what Midway ultimately did. Perhaps Midway couldn't get the licensing sorted out. Whatever the reason, he's not in the arcade game, and this is an emulation of the arcade game, so he's not here either. Not even solely by whim or choice, but because that's how emulation works.

Building a game from source code is an entirely different process, and one that would have to be done again from the ground up. That's called a port. These are not ports. As far as we know, no Arcade1Up games are ports, save for possibly Buck Hunter. The NBA source code now available on the Internet was released only a few months ago, and well after this project was complete. Though, even if it had been available, it would not have changed the task we were hired to do nor how we did it. The task was to recreate the original arcade release as accurately as possible, not some variant of it, and that's best done by emulation, not porting. The source code would've only saved us some reverse engineering work. The fact that the source is available now doesn't mean we can easily make some sort of "director's cut" even if Arcade1Up wanted us to, since porting and emulation are completely different techniques and would require starting over. And, as far as we know, they don't want us to.

Beyond that, we are not the source of decisions for this game. We develop it to Arcade1Up's specifications. It is entirely unlikely and unprecedented that Arcade1Up would ask us to alter the game to make it less historically accurate than was legally necessary.

Even outside the game itself, it is entirely up to Arcade1Up if/when updates are released, not us. The fact that no updates have been released since February is not our decision.

What you have been repeatedly asking for is a different product. We don't define the products that Arcade1Up sells. Arcade1Up does. We ask you to direct any further requests for potential Arcade1Up products solely to Arcade1Up. Maybe if there's enough interest, they'll ask us (or someone else) to make that product.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Okay I can respect that. Just to reiterate what I said or meant in my first post, after you beat all 29 teams you play against secret/special characters (NBA players, Midway programmers, etc.) MDOC (named M-DOC on the game screen when you play on the court) showed up as one of those players I played against (actually have played against him twice). They probably left him in the game but not as a playable character which is why his code doesn't work. Thanks for everything. I won't bother you again.
Last edited by teddyy80 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.