[request] 2002UM picks up controller inputs in the background

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
rednecked_crake

[request] 2002UM picks up controller inputs in the background

Post by rednecked_crake »

I'm not sure if this is a trivial / possible fix, but 2002UM picks up controller inputs when it's been alt-tabbed into the background. This makes it so I can't, for example, do some training mode in a game like Guilty Gear AC+r after I've made a lobby in 2002UM. It just picks up my inputs when on the lobby screen (such as the invite friends button when I want to practice some combo in AC+r), so I can't use my controller for anything else while waiting (you can training mode while waiting in SFV / AC+r for example).

It'd be pretty convenient if this was removed like most other games.

Another little quality-of-life thing would be if we could move the game to a second monitor (I use the windows key+shift+left to move windows to my other monitor) so we don't have to alt tab back into the game once a match is found, as a lot of players are over 200ms ping and leave / get kicked, then I just have to alt-tab out of the game again until someone else joins.

Thanks for the rollback either way, just thought I'd mention a couple things that'd make it even better.
CodeMystics

Re: [request] 2002UM picks up controller inputs in the background

Post by CodeMystics »

Unfortunately the controller situation is delicate. Some drivers have problems reconnecting when the window loses focus. Others disconnect even as yours doesn't. If we were to alter that code it would likely have collateral damage for other users.

On your other point, it should already be possible to drag the game window to a second monitor.
rednecked_crake

Ah, thanks anyway.

I did also test with a DualShock4 and it wasn't getting picked up when the game was in the background, which was odd. The DS4 uses direct input on PC I think, my other controller is a madcatz Xbox stick so it uses XInput, maybe that's why.

The only reason I asked for second monitor switching is that I run the game in fullscreen, and it doesn't look like alt+enter works for switching between that and windowed. It seems like the windows key is disabled when the game is running, so the win+shift+left shortcut won't work for moving windows around. Not a big deal though.
Last edited by rednecked_crake on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rednecked_crake

For the benefit of anyone else who was thinking the same thing (along with any other steam game that does this), if you just open the steam overlay (shift+tab) in 2002UM, it will no longer pick up any controller inputs. So you could host a lobby in 02UM and sit in training mode on another game (or another instance of 2002UM) and it won't pick up inputs while in the background any longer.