SVC: MOTM Light and Hard attack button assignment

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
Rockman2DN

SVC: MOTM Light and Hard attack button assignment

Post by Rockman2DN »

Hey guys! I sent this to your Twitter DM’s, but then I realized you’re probably swamped there with hundreds of messages and it wouldn’t be the best way to get in touch with you, so I’ll repost here!:

Hello! I hope you don’t mind me sending this DM, but I was wondering if it was possible or in the cards to add a feature to the ngpc selection games which allows you to map the light and heavy presses to their own buttons?

I know that you guys are trying to make it 1 to 1 with the original release, but I think it would be a nice quality of life fix as I’ve been wondering how it would be if my ngpc had 4 buttons instead of 2 ever since I had my MOTM cart back in High school lol.

I was able to get it going using a titan one device and writing a script so that the button presses are always a tap or a press depending on which button is pressed, but there’s still anomalies like comboing from some heavy attacks into a heavy special where you still get a light special every so often because of how the timing is when executed by script.

Again, sorry to bother you with this long message/request and I really want to say THANK YOU for bringing SVC:MOTM to the switch with an actual vs mode that me and my friends have been able to play like we’re back in HS again!
CodeMystics

Re: SVC: MOTM Light and Hard attack button assignment

Post by CodeMystics »

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately there are multiple reasons this would be unlikely to happen.

As it is an emulation we are not at liberty to alter the original code, so at best it could only be done by a method similar to the Titan implementation you describe, and subject to the same problems.

Beyond that, the arrangement between SNK and Capcom no doubt has very strict expectations that would almost certainly forbid doing anything that could be construed as "new".

So while we understand and sympathise with people keen to see this classic evolve, we're just grateful to have even had the stars align sufficiently to allow us to bring it back to life in its original authentic form.
Rockman2DN

Re: SVC: MOTM Light and Hard attack button assignment

Post by Rockman2DN »

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

As I wrote the post I assumed something like that might be the case, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask anyways!

I do agree with you completely, though: The fact that we’re able to not only have it again but have a way to play VS mode on one system is amazing in and of itself.

Thanks so much for everything you guys do!