Atari Vault - Wanted: Tempest Config Spinner Option

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
quizzyDude

Atari Vault - Wanted: Tempest Config Spinner Option

Post by quizzyDude »

Hi Folks!

I'm a happy Steam-based Atari Vault owner, who enjoys particularly playing your Asteroids, Missile Command, and Tempest emulations. There's one thing I can think of which would make me even happier - if it were possible to switch spinner directions in your Tempest emulation. I'm using a trackball mouse in Spinner mode to play Tempest (just like I did with MAME before discovering you guys). When I move the mouse left, the virtual spinner moves clockwise, which to me feels un-natural, because the horizontal axis of the mouse should simulate the top of the spinner, not the bottom of the spinner. I'm attaching a picture of the config screen the way I have it set. One thing MAME does, which would be a nice addition to your Tempest emulation, is include a checkbox in the Spinner config options, to reverse the spinner direction relative to the mouse's horizontal direction, so that users who like the spinner as is needn't change anything, and users like me can check the checkbox to have left mouse movement translated to counter-clockwise spinner movement. As a developer myself, I'm hoping this option wouldn't be a big deal to add in an update.

Thank you,

-Ron
Attachments
Atari Vault - Tempest Config-20200902-001a.jpg
Atari Vault - Tempest Config-20200902-001a.jpg (115.64 KiB) Viewed 6569 times
CodeMystics

Re: Atari Vault - Wanted: Tempest Config Spinner Option

Post by CodeMystics »

You're in luck. :) The option you're looking for is already there. It's just under Options > Game instead of Options > Controls. Scroll to "CONTROLS" and select "Inverted".
inverted.jpg
inverted.jpg (104.4 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
quizzyDude

Post by quizzyDude »

"Options: Game: Controls: Inverted" - arguably not the most intuitive place to put that option, but it's great to know it's there, and it works!!

Just testing it from level 1, I got to level 14. Guess who's going to be playing a lot more Tempest now!!

For the record, I asked about this years ago in my product review, and recently in the Atari forum for Vault. I'm glad I've found you guys here.

Thank you!!

-Ron

"Keep Calm and Avoid Spikes"
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

quizzyDude wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:14 pm "Options: Game: Controls: Inverted" - arguably not the most intuitive place to put that option, but it's great to know it's there, and it works!!
:oops: Yeah... since there are 150 games in there with multiple control options each, to make it manageable, the Controls menu had to be procedurally generated. That means it wasn't really friendly to arbitrary additions. The Invert option was requested some time ago by a couple users (perhaps you were one of them) when we were making official changes for Atari, so putting it in the Game menu was a little easier to drop in, labour-wise, during the official update.