Arcade1up NBA Jam software updates

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
CodeMystics

Re: Arcade1up NBA Jam software updates

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:44 pm That has nothing to do with game play. I'm talking about when you create a player. Under the attributes section under the create player the original arcade game had it where you have 80 points after you win so many games. This one doesn't.
By game play we mean in the broad sense. We do not alter the original arcade design or functionality with the sole exception of things mandated by licensing issues. The original Hangtime arcade ROM caps attribute points at 70 not 80. We even had our coder spend time reverse engineering to confirm this. To our knowledge there is only one version of the Hangtime arcade ROM, so if you saw differently you must've been playing a hack or a defective emulation.

From a design perspective we can only speculate what they were thinking, but this makes sense. If every sufficiently experienced player eventually arrived at the same all-maxed character it would homogenise the character customisation. By capping it short of 80 some subjectivity and individuality has to remain in all created characters.
TallaNasty

Post by TallaNasty »

Are there any further updates planned for this cabinet at the moment, or is it at 100%?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

TallaNasty wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 am Are there any further updates planned for this cabinet at the moment, or is it at 100%?
Sorry, the Arcade1Up people would have to answer that question. Typically, public reveals -- if there was anything to reveal -- are controlled by our clients.
teddyy80

SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR NBA HANGTIME

Post by teddyy80 »

Who does this for this game? Because after playing it for a while I have a lot of complaints about the gameplay. And no, it does not play like the original arcade and they did not keep it like that because they have done different with this machine. Example, no trivia and when you create a player the timer on the arcade game starts at 4:00. On this arcade1up it starts at 2:00. Just let me know who does the software and if they don't want to do that then they can tell me how I can update it myself.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

But do you guys do the software for Hangtime? Also the 80 attribute points were in the original. It came with answering trivia questions. But there is no trivia in this game.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:18 pm But do you guys do the software for Hangtime? Also the 80 attribute points were in the original. It came with answering trivia questions. But there is no trivia in this game.
We were responsible for the emulation for Hangtime, yes.

We were indeed directed to remove the Trivia Game. The Trivia Game was an optional part of Hangtime that operators could choose to disable, so it's absence is not inconsistent with the user experience of the original cabinet, depending on where and when you found it. To our knowledge, winning the trivia game gave you the opportunity to enter a sweepstakes.

As we noted above, our coder confirmed the original ROM explicitly limits the number of points:

Code: Select all

ffa5a620:b40e 0140:				MOVE	*A0(00000140),A14,W	; maximum attribute points 69
ffa5a640:0b4e ffba:				CMPI	00000045,A14,W
ffa5a660:c94d:					JRHS(nc).s	.no_new_points		; (ffa5ab40)
45 is the hexidecimal encoding of the number 69.
CodeMystics

Re: SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR NBA HANGTIME

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:13 pm Who does this for this game? Because after playing it for a while I have a lot of complaints about the gameplay. And no, it does not play like the original arcade and they did not keep it like that because they have done different with this machine. Example, no trivia and when you create a player the timer on the arcade game starts at 4:00. On this arcade1up it starts at 2:00. Just let me know who does the software and if they don't want to do that then they can tell me how I can update it myself.
Updates are created by Code Mystics under the direction of Arcade1Up.

It is an emulation, so it does play the original arcade game ROMs. The only alterations are those necessitated by licence concerns (such as removed players) and the disabling of the Trivia Game, the disabling of which was also legitimately an option in the original arcade game.

The start timer is an adjustable parameter. Please see the game settings in the main menu.

With Arcade1Up's permission, we would be happy to correct any errors that come to light if they can be substantiated, outside changes that were necessitated by licensor issues.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Okay so you guys do the software with the approval of arcade1up. By the way, you can not adjust the timer of the create player, only the game clock speed. So that was something that is different from the original arcade game. There are too many updates to name but the timer comes on too soon when you're picking teams, too many air ball open layups, too many hung dunks while wide open, that thing where you're ahead and the computer catches up in half a second even if he had been knocked down, man too many more to name. All I can say is that if you're an expert at Hangtime then you will be disappointed. Even with all the cheats I still can beat the computer by 40 plus. But I get tired of always playing 2 against 1, especially against guys online that I know I should beat by 30 plus. I know back in the day they programmed it to cheat so you will put more money in it. But having that program now seems unnecessary. The main thing is your teammate computer player. Even after I beat all 29 teams and put SMARTER DRONE in the privileges section of create player there is no difference. I didn't think about it back then but why should it be a privilege to have a smarter teammate? Shouldn't he play as hard as you do or like the computer opponents? He basically just takes the ball out and does nothing after that. Having it like that back in the day I could understand (and back then it wasn't that bad). They were trying to cheat to make you spend more money. I would have thought that after 20 plus years it would have been updated better than that. Computer hits every shot if you're up 30 plus. I can't pass the ball at all to my teammate, especially when I go up for a shot or a dunk without it hitting an opposing player. Way too many passes go away from your teammate, even if he or I am stationary. If the ball is on the ground it won't let you pick it up before the computer does, even if the computer is off the screen down the court. My turbo bar fill up slower than my opponent every time (I always play on the 3rd joystick). The only conclusion I can come to is if the game/system deems you as a good player they put some kind of cheat for your opponent. I would love to know the program for that. My buttons have stopped working all the time on the 3rd player. I have asked about getting another control deck but they said I have to buy another whole game. They asked about a receipt and stuff and I told them it was a gift and they went ghost. If I could at least switch out the buttons on my control deck because no one plays the game but me then I would be good. I have more but I'll stop here for now.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:40 pm Okay so you guys do the software with the approval of arcade1up. By the way, you can not adjust the timer of the create player, only the game clock speed. So that was something that is different from the original arcade game. ...
You have to understand, this is not a port. This is an emulation. We cannot alter arcade game play by accident (or even neglect), such as timers or difficulty. It would take a lot of deliberate effort to alter the game the way you are describing, which we did not do. If the emulation were flawed or we were sloppy, it would not result in intellgient design deviations. Instead it would cause the game to crash or do some spectacularly bad things. That's the nature of emulation.

If this game is behaving differently than you recall, perhaps you are recalling a different version? Maybe a home port? NBA Maximum Hangtime?

As to the changes you want to see vs. what the arcade authentically did, the majority of Arcade1Up's customers expect authenticity, not an edited remake, so that is what we are retained to produce.

(BTW, we have merged your two threads into this one.)
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

You guys are twisting my words. The arcade1up version is different from the original arcade NBA HANGTIME in the ways I mentioned. You would have to be an expert to know what I'm talking about. I'll keep it simple. Look at any video on youtube of Hangtime on any system and the original arcade cabinet and you will see the timer for 'create player' starts at 4 minutes. Arcade1up starts at 2 minutes. SO THAT IS A CHANGE THAT WAS DONE THAT'S DIFFERENT THAN THE ORIGINAL ARCADE WAS. That's all I'm saying. I know you guys aren't going to do any Hangtime updates because the game isn't targeted for experts like me. I'm in the minority. All I was saying is that it is different than the original. And something as obvious as a timer should prove that.

I'm not saying this to let anybody know not to get the game. All I'm doing is making a point about the obvious differences, that's all.