Multiplayer Lobbies In MotW

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
Boogler

Multiplayer Lobbies In MotW

Post by Boogler »

Your rollback netcode implementation in Garou:MotW is god-tier. It is very much appreciated.

My suggestion is to have a eight-player king-of-the-hill style lobby system similar to what is found in many modern fighters.

I have many friends who get together when we can to play this game; we would be able to play a lot more often if we had the ability to do so online in a lobby.

Once again, thank you for your incredible work on Garou.
CodeMystics

Re: Multiplayer Lobbies In MotW

Post by CodeMystics »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a popular one, but there are two things that stand in our way:

1. As it's more involved, and something like that would need our clients' approval budget/time-wise.

2. Tiers usually mean spectating, and that has its own issues. From our responses on the topic on Twitter:
[on spectating]

Honestly we've always been nervous what competing with spectator streams would do to the quality of the netcode. Especially if you have people who choose to play via WiFi. You can have all the bandwidth in the world but it doesn't stop packet clustering.

[on spectating on delay]

It's the same amount of data, delayed or not. Though if we did ever allow spectators we'd make one spectator responsible for passing the feed on to the rest, so the fighters only have to supply feed to one extra person, not everyone.
So it's something we've contemplated -- and we've effectively done spectating in some other non-fighting games -- but for this we'd need SNK on board with the undertaking.
Boogler

Post by Boogler »

Thank you for the reply!

Thank you for taking the time to explain the process. Understanding this would be pretty involved, I can understand why it might not happen.

I can always hope though!

A lot of the FGC seems to be pretty excited about Garou since you guys rolled out the new netcode. It feels really good to see a game I love so much revitalized in the public eye. Thank you again for that.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Maybe if spectating is harmfull for the online experience of the players conections, Some kind of Replay funtion or give the players a Round of ventage, then when the first round ends, then send the input data to the spectators as a file/chunck so the spectating is not live, but a round buffered and then transmitted while the second round loads.