BETA netcode feedback

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
Miggoh

BETA netcode feedback

Post by Miggoh »

I'll be posting here about my experiences during KOF98UM Beta. I will only post results, if I play enough times against the same opponent.
I'm located in Northern Finland and have decent 200/10M Fiber connection. Latency is an estimates, unless I say otherwise.

BuildID 478290

Opponent: Norway, <100ms :!:
Played maybe around ten matches, no slowdowns or input lag. However ALL of the matches desynced after playing about one round.

For example, during round one he used a DM on me and I was left with just a sliver of health. However, instead of finishing me off he just stood there. So I went ahead and knocked him out and asked him "Why you didn't kill me there?", but on his end he had already won the round and was in the "KO screen" that comes between rounds and that's why he didn't do anything. At least everyone is a winner as the game marked the match as won for both of us.

Opponent: Denmark, <100ms
Played around 15 matches, no slowdowns or input lag. The game ran really smooth and only one of the matches desynced towards the end.

Summary: The input lag problem from Vanilla seems to be gone. It probably occurred when game tried to recover from a lag spike. The game seems to handle traffic better now. The package sizes no longer get bloated (think the highest I've seen has been 47bytes, while the Vanilla could easily go over 100bytes).

BuildID 478771

Opponent: Italy, <120ms
Played around ten matches and we both tried to host. The game run well and there was no noticeable input lag. No desyncing or any other major problems.

Opponent: Belgium, <120ms
Played around 15 matches without any slowdowns or input lag. The game got stuck twice in the "Starting match..." screen after we pushed ready in the lobby, but otherwise no complain about.

Opponent: USA East Coast, in-game ping says >300, but directly pinging his IP gave ~165ms as result :!:
Played a few matches. Noticeable slowdowns (about equal to running the game @45fps), but no input lag.

Opponent: Denmark <100ms
I played against the same opponent in last build. Game ran really well and didn't have any issues.

Summary: While the input lag is now gone even on worse connections, you might want to increase the threshold for slowing the game down just a little. I played the same opponent from USA in Vanilla and while we had some input lag (noticeable, maybe half a second), the game ran at full speed and was actually more playable than it is now. Fine-tuning is required, but it's definitely going to the right direction. I haven't gotten a desync yet in this build, but I haven't had a chance to play the Norwegian guy yet. I did have some problems running the game in last build due to changes made to threading, so hopefully the desync problems were caused by that and don't exist anymore. One can always hope, right?

BuilID 479500 latest

This patch broke my controller, so I guess I'm skipping this one.
Last edited by Miggoh on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flotilla

Re: BETA netcode feedback

Post by Flotilla »

I too agree that the input delay cap should probably be slightly raised a little. Most people would probably prefer an extra few frames of input delay than the game running at a slower speed.

Code Mystics mentioned allowing manually choosing input delay as a future feature, which would be sweet.

CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Flotilla wrote:I too agree that the input delay cap should probably be slightly raised a little. Most people would probably prefer an extra few frames of input delay than the game running at a slower speed.

Code Mystics mentioned allowing manually choosing input delay as a future feature, which would be sweet.
The current cap is 9 frames.

Miggoh

Post by Miggoh »

CodeMystics wrote:The current cap is 9 frames.
If it trusts the in-game ping value, then it's way off on connections over 100ms.

Flotilla

Post by Flotilla »

CodeMystics wrote:The current cap is 9 frames.
Do you mind if I ask how the game determines what input delay to apply? Using matches in ggxxnet as a reference (Guilty Gear #Reload's netplay solution, which is very similar to KOF98UMFE's and allows you to manually adjust input delay) , 6-8 frames of input delay should very easily accommodate a connection from US to Japan with minimal (if any) slowdown, much less a connection from US to Finland. What sort of input delay would the beta build choose for us in the event of a 320 ping connection? I ask, because I the opposite player of the USA East Coast game in OP.

I really felt as though it shouldn't have been slowing down at all if the input delay cap is indeed 9 frames, and that the game may not have been allocating enough frames of input delay to even reach the cap. This is just speculation on my part, of course; either one of our connections may have been off at the time which mean that no amount of input delay could have helped us.

CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Flotilla wrote:I really felt as though it shouldn't have been slowing down at all if the input delay cap is indeed 9 frames, and that the game may not have been allocating enough frames of input delay to even reach the cap. This is just speculation on my part, of course; either one of our connections may have been off at the time which mean that no amount of input delay could have helped us.
The game requires your input. It'll either allow it to delay or it will wait for it. A lower input delay means it reaches the "wait for it" point sooner, hence slow down.

mr. mister

Post by mr. mister »

https://github.com/ggnauthor/ggxxnet

this should be the netcode for guilty gear

take a look if it's the case