KOF 98 UM and KOF 2002 UM Steam gallery launcher

Have a wish list or something you'd love to see? Post your ideas here!
RadiantEclipse2003

KOF 98 UM and KOF 2002 UM Steam gallery launcher

Post by RadiantEclipse2003 »

Hi! The PS2 version of KOF 98 UM and KOF 2002 UM had a gallery where you could see artwork and videos from the game. The Steam version does not contain the gallery. I believe SNK provided the game code for you guys with the gallery removed. So I wanted to suggest a way to "restore" the gallery without modifying the game's code. My suggestion is to develop a simple launcher just to display the artworks and videos of the game.

Some Steam games when started open a window, giving you two or more options, these options are usually: start the game or start the video settings launcher. Here's an example:

So in the case of KOF 98 UM and KOF 2002 UM the options would be: start the game or start the gallery.

I got the idea for this suggestion when I saw this guide on Steam, which contains a lot of HD artwork from the game:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2240681519

So this simple launcher would be included in the game files but it wouldn't interfere anything with the games, it would be a standalone launcher just to display game artworks and videos.

Edit 1: The players don't need to unlock the artworks and videos, they would all be available to be seen in the launcher even if the played haven't played the game yet.

Edit 2: The KOF 2002 UM videos are available in the game's directory (kof2002um/data/movie/) in .wmv format, so the launcher could access these videos easily because they are not encrypted.

CodeMystics

Re: KOF 98 UM and KOF 2002 UM Steam gallery launcher

Post by CodeMystics »

Hi,

Thanks for your message. These ports, amalgamating the Xbox and NESiCA versions, were developed under the direction of SNK. We would not be at liberty to add any features unique to the PS2 version. As such, we suggest reaching out to SNK if there are features you'd like to see.