Killer Instinct Arcade 1up Connection issues. Same port as NBA Jam?

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
TheAntArcade

Killer Instinct Arcade 1up Connection issues. Same port as NBA Jam?

Post by TheAntArcade »

Hello,
I have been trying to play my Killer Instinct Arcade 1up online for the past 2 days. Will trying to open the port 1792 help as I read it helps with NBA JAM Arcade 1up.. Here are my details if it helps.:

Details on my setup:
I can connect online no issues. Took update with no issue. Leaderboards and people online always display.
I have 3 bars and have moved my game directly next to router and get the same solid 3 bars (not saying this is a problem).
I have tried direct wired with USB Ethernet adaptor and get same issues as I do with using Wi-Fi
I am using AT&T fiber. Modem model:BGW320-505
I don't know much about router settings, port forwarding, NAT, etc.. I use this modem/router on Xbox PS4 and PC with no issues ever and I play the Xbox Killer Instinct Classic Arcade version by Code Mystics with no issues either.

Problem:
*When I try to connect with someone, I have no issues till I get to "Joining SOMEONES Game ..." Showing the progress bar below but it doesn't fill at all and after a couple of seconds I get the error "Sorry, the connection to TheAntArcade was lost while trying to join a game,,etc..."
*This happens in about 1 of 20 attempts.. I RARELY can connect but once I do, It works great.
*When Joining someone's game progress bar actually does begin to fill, everything works great from that point on (until I try to play someone else).
*When it does connect, it gets right into the game and I can keep playing this person many matches and rematches with no issues. But once I go back to the lobby I have to begin to try to get a good connection with someone.
*If I start my own game, many people try to join and same result. I accept there request (or auto accept) and they never actually join as It says I lost connection. Rarely is anyone able to join but when they do it works fine.

Anything else I can try?
Thank you for your help.
CodeMystics

Re: Killer Instinct Arcade 1up Connection issues. Same port as NBA Jam?

Post by CodeMystics »

Port 1972 is for NBA Jam. Killer Instinct uses port 19273. But yes do try setting up port forwarding for the cabinet according to your router's instructions.
TheAntArcade

Post by TheAntArcade »

Opened Port 19273 UDP and there was no change. I can still rarely connect.
travisburgess

Post by travisburgess »

I'm in the same boat as TheAntArcade here. Both of us have AT&T Gig Fiber with BGW320 model/router combos. I've forwarded TCP/UDP ports 19273 to KI and no luck. And I *think* (not totally sure on this since the AT&T UI for the BGW320 is pretty bad) I have applied DMZ to the KI unit as well by applying what was said in this video about open NAT for Xbox (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py957qWcGuc) - . Same "Cannot connect to [self]" type message.

Anything else we can try? TheAntArcade - if you want to test any solutions CodeMystics or others suggest with me since we're having the same issues and in pretty much the same setup - let me know and we can set aside a time to try.
TheAntArcade

Post by TheAntArcade »

Sounds good. I bought this Killer Instinct specifically to play others online but cant. So ill try whatever. I will try to send private message and we can post outcome here for anyone else it may help. I tried so much that some people begin to block me because I'm sure its annoying to them to disconnect before we even connect repeatedly.
Last edited by TheAntArcade on Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Through we can't provide meaningful support for specific third party hardware, this guide for Xbox could be adapted to the KI cabinet by substituting UDP port 19273 in the instructions. https://forums.att.com/conversations/at ... 4c1968bf65

You can see and modify the IP your cabinet acquired on the LAN by changing from Automatic to Manual in the cabinet's Network Setup.

Good luck!
travisburgess

Post by travisburgess »

Really appreciate the response CodeMystics. We will try some things including the link you provided and see if that gets us working. We'll report back.
travisburgess

Post by travisburgess »

Tried the following things, all connect to leaderboards but no p2p for online play.

- Wired w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Automatic network settings
- Wired w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Manual network settings (interesting weird issue here I want to point out that may help with debugging, maybe, Im not sure, see screenshots below that illustrates)
- Wireless w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Automatic network settings
- Wireless w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Manual network settings (same weird issue thing as I've described below)
- Wired w/ static IP with apparently AT&T's version of "DMZ"
- Wireless w/ static IP with apparently AT&T's version "DMZ"

I'm 99.9999999999% sure this an AT&T BGW router problem but I still wanted to throw this out there for CodeMystics anyhow when trying to do Manual network configuration.

Weird issue that could be a side issue or related, who knows (I'm a developer as well so this thing piqued my interest for debugging reasons):

So when powering on the unit and choosing Automatic settings, it connects fine to leaderboards both wired and wireless. Changing that (without rebooting) to Manual still connects to leaderboards (no p2p still) as seen in the shot below. I assume that when connecting Automatic, that it pulls the IP address/Subnet/Gateway etc and pre-fills those values in when switching to Manual.

Here's where things get interesting. When rebooting the unit, it fails to connect to leaderboards (both wired and wireless, even though on wireless it shows three bars).

It also fails to get network settings as shown below:

Tomorrow or whenever I get the chance, I am going to try to make the AT&T unit a "modem" only unit and remove router functions and pass that off to the router that I bought and hook the unit straight in to the modem and see what happens. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks to CodeMystics again (despite this issue I love the machine and yall did a bangup job and I'm very pleased) and TheAntArcade for reaching out to me
TheAntArcade

Post by TheAntArcade »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you said and still cant connect. But here is an update on my issue:
I took the arcade machine to my brothers house to see if it works there. I have same issues there as I do at home. Turns out he has same setup as me AT&T fiber with same exact router model.
Then I took the arcade to a friends house who has Spectrum internet (with phone and TV package). It works perfect over there, no issues at all and no setup besides wi-fi password.
This leads me to believe the Arcade 1up is fine and its an AT&T Fiber/Modem issue. I'm open to any other suggestions and thanks for helping.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

travisburgess wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:11 pm Tried the following things, all connect to leaderboards but no p2p for online play.

- Wired w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Automatic network settings
- Wired w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Manual network settings (interesting weird issue here I want to point out that may help with debugging, maybe, Im not sure, see screenshots below that illustrates)
- Wireless w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Automatic network settings
- Wireless w/ static IP while port forwarding to the IP UDP 19723, with Manual network settings (same weird issue thing as I've described below)
- Wired w/ static IP with apparently AT&T's version of "DMZ"
- Wireless w/ static IP with apparently AT&T's version "DMZ"
It's 19273 not 19723. (0x4B49. "KI" in ASCII)
Weird issue that could be a side issue or related, who knows (I'm a developer as well so this thing piqued my interest for debugging reasons):

So when powering on the unit and choosing Automatic settings, it connects fine to leaderboards both wired and wireless. Changing that (without rebooting) to Manual still connects to leaderboards (no p2p still) as seen in the shot below. I assume that when connecting Automatic, that it pulls the IP address/Subnet/Gateway etc and pre-fills those values in when switching to Manual.
Manual means Static IP. Presumably your router isn't permitting the acquisition of the IP if it wasn't served by its own DHCP service. It's not uncommon for routers to reserve separate pools for Static IPs vs. DHCP. If you're trying to statically allocate an IP that was served from the DHCP pool it could easily be rejected.

Incidentally the KI unit does request uPnP services on routers that have that capability enabled, in case that's an option in your router's dashboard.

The reason leaderboards will work, incidentally, is they are https on TCP, which is something a router might be a little more comfortable with.

From what we've read though, these particular routers are notoriously problematic for gaming.

But good luck and let us know if you make progress.