Killer Instinct Arcade 1up Connection issues. Same port as NBA Jam?

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
TheAntArcade

Re: Killer Instinct Arcade 1up Connection issues. Same port as NBA Jam?

Post by TheAntArcade »

Thanks again Code Mystics for taking time to assist. Here is another update.
Opening ports, DMZ etc. still will not allow me to join games. However, here is something that may interest you. I found a way around this but ONLY for Battletoads. This method has worked for me 100% of the time. Here is how its done:
Find someone playing Battletoads online.
Highlight there screen name to join them.
Press a button (A) to join and immediately start repeatedly pressing the LIVE button as if you were playing Track and Field. :lol:
Don't stop repeatedly pressing the live button until you notice the status bar growing in the background indicating it may be connecting.
From this point it should continue to fill on its own and join the game.
Once I join games this way, there is no issues during game.
This ONLY works for Battletoads. I wish it worked with Killer Instinct as I wouldn't mind a quick game of track and field to get warmed up before a match. :D
I have posted a video of this process in hopes that it may shed light on the subject and possibly help an update or help future online games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7krBaS4u68
(You Tube: Killer Instinct Arcade 1up Connection Lost Issues)
Thanks again.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

It's hard to tell what all these instructions mean without the device to view its menus but after some misfires a user in this thread seems to have identified a solution that may be relevant:

https://forums.att.com/conversations/at ... 694?page=1

On the second page a user suggests there is a problem when using static IPs and a dynamic IP may be required. It mentions identifying the device by name, but perhaps you can also identify it by its MAC address which is shown on our Network Setup page.

Another reply also mentions some web portal that may need to be visited to enable port forwarding on your account.

Lastly we can enable logging on your cabinet which you can then use to upload logs to us to see what's different about your button spamming connection vs. when you don't button spam. With your permission we'll enable that and share details in DM on how to upload logs. The logging mode requires user interaction to submit logs, for privacy reasons.
TheAntArcade

Post by TheAntArcade »

Thanks , I will look into what you said and I will give permission. I will do whatever I can to help, just let me know whenever you need anything on my part.. :) . Also a side note, the spamming of the 'Live' button works for him also (He has same internet setup/router as me).

I did as you asked and uploaded the log info. Send some video links via PM.
Thanks again
travisburgess

Post by travisburgess »

Thanks a lot for your help CodeMystics as always.

I was mistaken in my first reply, I meant to say the UDP port forwarded was 19273 rather than 19723. Whoops. So I had that right when doing all my work trying to figure out whats up.

This morning I totally revamped my home networking setup, changed the AT&T provided BGW Router/Modem combo to as much as a pure modem only setup as I think AT&T's BGW UI will allow (by using what they call "IP Passthrough" and turning off every single packet filtering and firewall option they've got in there). I have it connected to a Netgear Orbi and have the Orbi now handling all router functions. I have given Killer Instinct a static IP in Orbi's UI and forwarded UDP 19273 to it. As an aside - I've also given my Xbox a static IP and it's NAT states it is Open with no Double NAT warning.

I wanted to share where we (me and TheAntArcade) are since we've been testing various scenarios together for the past hour.

TheAntArcade and I have a 100% success rate in connecting together (with both me hosting and him hosting) on Battletoads so long as, as bizarre as this sounds, we're both viciously spamming the Live button on the connection screens. Not pressing the Live button at all yields no progress on the progress bar at all and no success.

KI and KI2 - we've never once connected fully despite many attempts and alternating who is the host. Spamming the Live button during connection attempts causes the progress bar to move, not touching the live button causes no progress. Even got up to 100% on KI2 once (see shot below), but then dropped connection. Same error as always "Cannot connect to [me]"

The fact that we always are able to connect (provided spamming Live) in Battletoads but not once KI/KI2 is really weird to me. Is this something that I may be able to provide that can be helpful? I'm extremely easygoing and flexible so if there's anything I can do to help out with this let me know.

I really appreciate ya, I'm really thrilled with this cab despite the connectivity issue. I look forward to what you do next with Arcade1Up in the future. And thanks for going above and beyond and providing AT&T links to us to try to help us.
travisburgess

Post by travisburgess »

Just as an interesting add on to the prior post - seems like just pressing Live once and leaving the Live menu up while connecting will connect 100% of the time on Battletoads (not KI/KI2), but not pressing live does nothing. (no need to spam live button)

TheAntArcade and I tried it a bunch of times (both hosting) and, again, 100% success with battletoads while using this technique.
TheAntArcade

Post by TheAntArcade »

Little more info that may be helpful.
First day I played (day after it arrived) I was able to get KI1 on 1 out of 5 games, Few days later it was more like 1 out of 20 games. These past 2 weeks I cant get any games going.
Hope that sheds a little light on the issue.
Thanks again for looking into this.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

For the benefit of others reading this thread we have been in private communication with the two users in this thread and evidence points to the particular modem having problems with the traffic involved. Bringing up the LIVE menu reduces the traffic by pausing the game but KI produces more traffic than Battletoads so even that is not sufficient once the data transfer to connect the games is complete.

As this is a problem with third party hardware (which is known to cause issues with other gaming platforms and IoT devices) we are limited in the support we are able to provide.

Nonetheless we are analysing the issue to see if there is anything further we can do.

To the last comment, it is possible other concurrent traffic on the network (locally or otherwise) may be responsible for the variation in success.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

For the benefit of anyone later happening across this thread, we believe the issue reported here was fixed in the 2022-02-18 firmware update. We want to thank TheAntArcade and travisburgess for their assistance and patience in helping us diagnose the compatibility problem.