NBA HANGTIME SAID LOST CONNECTION AND GAVE ME PENALTY....AGAIN

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
teddyy80

NBA HANGTIME SAID LOST CONNECTION AND GAVE ME PENALTY

Post by teddyy80 »

I was playing "wolfpack" and the machine started buzzing at the end of the first quarter like it does when you're about to lose the connection. It then put a message stating I had a penalty. I didn't lose connection. I'm on Fiber 1000 and Ethernet. And it gave me a loss on my 915-0 record. It has taken quite a bit of doing and work to get that record. Please fix cause I was up on "wolfpack" by 10 at the end of the first quarter when it cut off.
CodeMystics

Re: NBA HANGTIME SAID LOST CONNECTION AND GAVE ME PENALTY

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:32 pm I was playing "wolfpack" and the machine started buzzing at the end of the first quarter like it does when you're about to lose the connection. It then put a message stating I had a penalty. I didn't lose connection. I'm on Fiber 1000 and Ethernet. And it gave me a loss on my 915-0 record. It has taken quite a bit of doing and work to get that record. Please fix cause I was up on "wolfpack" by 10 at the end of the first quarter when it cut off.
Your machine verified a loss of connectivity and reported it to the server at its next opportunity. The NBA Jam server and Wolfpack's machine both corroborate this story. Your Internet service would have to be interrupted somehow (ISP dropout, router crashed, etc.) for this to happen. As a policy we do not undo such penalties as there is no way to tell if the dropout was deliberate. And, in fact, we can only remove bans, not adjust records, because the records are stored on your machine, not the server.

Please only post a topic once. We've removed the other posts.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Why not just have the penalty system give you a penalty instead of giving a loss too? I think that's unfair to players because sometimes it's out of our control. Let's say that the router did drop, cut off, etc. That's out of our control. Let's say it's due to the weather. It's raining and all the power in your house gets cut off. Or a car wreck happens where it hits an electric pole outside and your house/apt loses power because of that. To penalize is one thing but give a loss too? All that work I did for that to happen. God bless.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:47 pm Why not just have the penalty system give you a penalty instead of giving a loss too? I think that's unfair to players because sometimes it's out of our control. Let's say that the router did drop, cut off, etc. That's out of our control. Let's say it's due to the weather. It's raining and all the power in your house gets cut off. Or a car wreck happens where it hits an electric pole outside and your house/apt loses power because of that. To penalize is one thing but give a loss too? All that work I did for that to happen. God bless.
It was a decision by Arcade1Up's team. The notion is that simply giving a warning or temporary ban was considered not a sufficient deterrent. They were aware of the potential for innocent mishaps but they felt they would be rare. On the other hand, if a person could just avoid long term consequences by pulling the power plug on their router or the Ethernet cord out of their cabinet, it would be too easy a loophole that would be frequently exploited by cheaters. We implemented it to their specifications.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Most people have more than one device connected to their routers. Think about it, would someone really unplug a router just to keep a record? Especially since this isn't being played for money or anything like that? And this IS a rare innocent mishap. Oh and by the way if you doubt my skill at playing Hangtime, not saying that you do, and think I am one of those people who do dumb mess like that, then ask anyone on that leader board about me. I could drop plenty of names but you have our emails. They talk to me all the time on Reddit. None of them have yet to beat me. Most won't even play me. I've had more people leave from the time they see my record up to about halftime. I have had more people leave than play a full game. Finally, the "loses" on my other names & pins came from an 'error' in the system, not from an opposing player or the computer. I didn't mention those though. I also have pics of me beating the computer by over 100. That one 'loss' dropped me from 5004 to 4936 on the BEST OVERALL PLAYER board. I mean it is what it is.

P.S. Just a piece of one of my chat conversations with a player below:

visualmog
11:32 AM

i have never played anyone as good as you

Lakersoldier

Thx :)

visualmog

i always thought i dominated this game

until i met u

im sorry if it seemed like i was spamming

there is no way to communicate with you

do you have an email?

i would love to stay in touch you are the best player ive ever played
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

You're trying to convince the wrong team. Again, the design comes from Arcade1Up. We implemented it to their specification.

But just from our experience with the fighting game community, yes, absolutely some people will pull the connection to get an edge. There are interrupter cables sold for this very purpose. It's an Ethernet cable with a button. You push it and it temporarily stalls the connection. You don't need to take out your entire home network to accomplish this.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Damn that's crucial. I didn't know people actually did that just to keep from losing a fighting game. Thanks for putting me up on game :)
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:05 pm Damn that's crucial. I didn't know people actually did that just to keep from losing a fighting game. Thanks for putting me up on game :)
It isn't just to avoid losing. Short burst stalls that resolve before the connection drops can give a player an edge if they know when the stall is going to end but their opponent does not.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Oh okay. Also I know I sound hard but I'm passionate. And I owe you an apology about some of the things we discussed on Hangtime before. I researched them and found out that they either were on another emulation or Midway put them on the home versions, not the arcade ones. Ex. the clock on the create player being 2:00 instead of 4. The 4min was on the home versions, not the arcade one. Not to be crucial but I did ask some experts about putting the version of hangtime that had Glenn Robinson and Reggie Miller on this cabinet while keeping the online play. Everybody said you can do it with a raspberry pi and meme but you would lose the online play. I did take a look at the version of Tournament Edition that had the Mortal Kombat characters and the fatalities (when they push a player he looks like he's on fire). It was pretty tight. Surprised the NBA didn't approve that these days. I probably could understand back then being conservative, but now? Oh well. I also found out that breaking the backboard in NBA JAM was put in Hangtime on the Beta but taken out due to the NBA's decision (link below)

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_m ... e=nbahangt

One of my close friends who is a computer expert said that even though you guys probably aren't as big as Xbox, the fact that you were able to put an arcade game with online play is pretty good. Well thanks for everything. Amazing I have gotten about 25 people hit me up on reddit asking me who I lost to. LOL I sent them these pics:

https://imgur.com/a/VbSfbMn
https://imgur.com/qtTvbOn
Last edited by teddyy80 on Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teddyy80

NBA HANGTIME SAID LOST CONNECTION AND GAVE ME PENALTY....AGAIN

Post by teddyy80 »

I played again and it gave me a penalty warning and TWO losses this time on another undefeated record I had. I have pictures attached to show the problem I thought you guys fixed/changed. First is the message and score of the game I was playing. Second is my router to show that it was running fine. Last one is the ONT I have with my Fiber 1000 to show it doesn't have the red light on and that it is working fine.
Attachments
20210617_191455.jpg
20210617_191455.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
20210617_191503.jpg
20210617_191503.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
20210617_191516.jpg
20210617_191516.jpg (129.07 KiB) Viewed 8855 times