NBA HANGTIME SAID LOST CONNECTION AND GAVE ME PENALTY....AGAIN

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
teddyy80

Re: NBA HANGTIME SAID LOST CONNECTION AND GAVE ME PENALTY....AGAIN

Post by teddyy80 »

Got another question. I have the AT&T Fiber 1000 and I have an ethernet cable going into my cabinet. How do I keep the penalty thing from happening again? I mean I don't know what to do at this point. Do I get another cable, another router/modem combo box? Cause it's pretty frustrating to be winning by 54 in the fourth quarter, be undefeated, and have something like this happen with a guy who I know has WIFI (cause he didn't have the ethernet icon you stated in your update). Do I need to configure my router/modem in some way? Do I need to do the WIFI thing instead of ethernet? From my understanding ethernet is faster than WIFI. I'm also on the 5.0 G network. I shut down the 2.4 network when I first got my Fiber 1000. I know that you/arcade1up said WIFI only runs on 2.4G. Does that have anything to do with it?
Last edited by teddyy80 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:05 pm I use fiber 1000 ethernet, not WIFI. And I checked with my ISP and they said the only time my internet has been down, slow, etc. was when they had came out to service it when it was all the way down. And that was months ago. Got one more question. Since you said it was my fault on my end, how many penalty strikes does oman have before this one today? In other words when was the last time oman had a penalty happen like you said what happened to me today?
First off, there is no way an ISP would be able to report on your individual connectivity at any given moment in the past. They can comment on whether the service was down, carrier was lost, and/or if there was maintenance logged, but if there was a routing problem or your connection was overloaded, etc. for a mere 10 seconds (the wrong brand of cordless phones have been known to interfere with routers) they would have no record of that.

Secondly, we are not going to divulge random users' information publicly at the request of others.

For the record, there were seven times in the last week alone where the system considered you might deserve a penalty. Its algorithm rejected six of them as "no fault". It does err on the side of caution.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:20 pm Got another question. I have the AT&T Fiber 1000 and I have an ethernet cable going into my cabinet. How do I keep the penalty thing from happening again? I mean I don't know what to do at this point. Do I get another cable, another router/modem combo box? Cause it's pretty frustrating to be winning by 54 in the fourth quarter, be undefeated, and have something like this happen with a guy who I know has WIFI (cause he didn't have the ethernet icon you stated in your update). Do I need to configure my router/modem in some way? Do I need to do the WIFI thing instead of ethernet? From my understanding ethernet is faster than WIFI. I'm also on the 5.0 G network. I shut down the 2.4 network when I first got my Fiber 1000. I know that you/arcade1up said WIFI only runs on 2.4G. Does that have anything to do with it?
2.4 and 5.0 refer to WiFi frequencies. If you are on a cable it is not applicable.

There are a large number of possible explanations.

The bottom line though is the Internet is not flawless.

All we can say is the safeguards designed to avoid false positives require you to lose connectivity with more than just your opponent. So that had to have happened to record a penalty.

This is part of the design because there is otherwise no way to determine who's at fault when the connection is lost. When the conversation stops, it has to determine "did they stop talking or did you stop listening?"

We can't rely on your machine alone to make the decision though because some unscrupulous players use signal interrupt cables to cheat some games' rage quit detection.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

As I did before what if when that happens I show you a picture of what the time of the game and the score was at the time of disruption? Would that make any difference cause in the case of today I was leading by over 50 in the 4th (oman can verify that) and I forgot to take a picture of it like before. That would at least prove it wasn't a rage quit on my part, which I have never done by the way.

I just put the game on WIFI, played online for a game, and it lagged a lot. Bars were in the red but my signal strength is strong. I reactivated my 2.4G so I can connect via WIFI.

Also on the newer cabinets are you starting to use the 3.0 micro USB ports or still using the 2.0 ones?

Lastly did it have anything to do with me hosting the game versus if I would have joined a game? Cause If I remember everytime the penalty has come up I think I was hosting those games. Do you know or can you find that out?

I noticed a guy I have played name is_it_the_shoes has gone from his ethernet to WIFI. Makes me wonder if it has anything to do with this penalty system.
Last edited by teddyy80 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:31 pm As I did before what if when that happens I show you a picture of what the time of the game and the score was at the time of disruption? Would that make any difference cause in the case of today I was leading by over 50 in the 4th (oman can verify that) and I forgot to take a picture of it like before. That would at least prove it wasn't a rage quit on my part, which I have never done by the way.

I just put the game on WIFI, played online for a game, and it lagged a lot. Bars were in the red but my signal strength is strong. I reactivated my 2.4G so I can connect via WIFI.

Also on the newer cabinets are you starting to use the 3.0 micro USB ports or still using the 2.0 ones?

Lastly did it have anything to do with me hosting the game versus if I would have joined a game? Cause If I remember everytime the penalty has come up I think I was hosting those games. Do you know or can you find that out?

I noticed a guy I have played name is_it_the_shoes has gone from his ethernet to WIFI. Makes me wonder if it has anything to do with this penalty system.
No, pictures can't help. As we explained last time, we can't reverse a penalty. It's recorded on your machine. And such pictures would really not tell us anything anyway, any more than the picture of a box with a green light on it you sent last time.

The system is working as intended, though. Your machine lost a connection to Internet. Oman's did not. It may have been for a moment, but those are the rules we've been given for giving you a penalty. (And those rules explicitly say "regardless of who's winning.")

Hosting or joining doesn't make a difference. The entire process is symmetric after the join stage is complete.

And again the red bars have nothing to do with your WiFi signal strength. It is an expression of a ping.

As to the new cabinets, we only make the software (some of it). Questions about hardware should be directed to Tastemakers.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

I understand but don't agree with the penalty part. The part I'm talking about is giving someone a LOSS because of it due to it being out of that person's control. The loss part is what I'm talking about. As I said I've contacted Arcade1up about it due to you already telling me long ago that has nothing to do with you and that you don't have to power to make that change.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:47 pm I understand but don't agree with the penalty part. The part I'm talking about is giving someone a LOSS because of it due to it being out of that person's control. The loss part is what I'm talking about. As I said I've contacted Arcade1up about it due to you already telling me long ago that has nothing to do with you and that you don't have to power to make that change.
A correction: it should've said we cannot reverse a loss, because it is recorded on your machine.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

Can you make it where a penalty does not give a loss If arcade1up approves it? If so then how long would that take for you to implement?
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

teddyy80 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:32 pm Can you make it where a penalty does not give a loss If arcade1up approves it? If so then how long would that take for you to implement?
We can design it any way they wish. How long it takes us, though, isn't the limiting factor. Note that the last update was dated May 5, but released in October.
teddyy80

Post by teddyy80 »

If a player leaves in the middle of the game (not dropped connection) and it says they left and will receive a penalty (cause players do that to me all the time), are they accessed a loss on their record?