Almost no BGM in KOF2002UM

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
Mirax96

Almost no BGM in KOF2002UM

Post by Mirax96 »

Hello, I've recently downloaded The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match for the Amazon Games platform and I've noticed that almost all BGMs just don't work. Both in matches and in the sound test, most themes are just... Mute. There's even some of the phew ones that do work that end abruptly after some seconds (like Art of Fight and Geese with Mustard).

I've tried to repair the redistributables with the included vcredist_x86 file, but to no avail. (My os is 64-bit, if it can be of help)

I've searched online and I've found some threads on the Steam site where users have the same problem, but despite the other users' support, they just couldn't solve the problem.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
CodeMystics

Re: Almost no BGM in KOF2002UM

Post by CodeMystics »

Mirax96 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:33 pm Hello, I've recently downloaded The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match for the Amazon Games platform and I've noticed that almost all BGMs just don't work. Both in matches and in the sound test, most themes are just... Mute. There's even some of the phew ones that do work that end abruptly after some seconds (like Art of Fight and Geese with Mustard).

I've tried to repair the redistributables with the included vcredist_x86 file, but to no avail. (My os is 64-bit, if it can be of help)

I've searched online and I've found some threads on the Steam site where users have the same problem, but despite the other users' support, they just couldn't solve the problem.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
We have not been able to reproduce this problem, but the older KOF2002UM (upon which the Prime Gaming version is based) uses XAudio2. The newer KOF2002UM on Steam does away with this method of audio playback. We'd suggest looking into compatibility issues between XAudio2 and your sound drivers.
Mirax96

Post by Mirax96 »

Hello, I've searched online, but there was no conclusive solution for my problem. I just found miscellaneous errors about old versions of XAudio2 not being that compatible with Windows 10, but nothing more. I tried to update or fix my drivers, but everything related is up to date.
Maybe the only solution is to update the Prime Gaming version up to the Steam version?

(By the way, might as well report this to you: the description of the Prime Gaming version of KOF98 mentions Steam, so you may want to correct that!)
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

The arrangement between SNK and Prime involved releasing their back catalogue games. We are not aware of any plans to bring the current Steam version of 2002UM over to Prime.
basis_kome

Post by basis_kome »

I also recently installed the Prime gaming version of KOF2002UM.

BGM does not sound
The same phenomenon is occurring.

You will hear a sound on the Start screen.
There is no sound during battle or on the menu screen.

The sound when the boss character intrudes will be heard.

Isn't it a game bug, not an audio playback issue?

My environment is
Windows 10 64bit.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

basis_kome wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 am I also recently installed the Prime gaming version of KOF2002UM.

BGM does not sound
The same phenomenon is occurring.

You will hear a sound on the Start screen.
There is no sound during battle or on the menu screen.

The sound when the boss character intrudes will be heard.

Isn't it a game bug, not an audio playback issue?

My environment is
Windows 10 64bit.
The Prime version is from Feb 2015, which was before Windows 10 existed. The evolution of Windows created a compatibility issue with XAudio2, likely driver related as it does not occur on all installations.

The decision to have the free Prime updated to parity with the new paid Steam release would have to be made by SNK and Amazon. It is beyond our control.
basis_kome

Post by basis_kome »

Thank you very much. understood.

A review of the sound driver has made it possible to make sounds.