Recent NBA Jam Update

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
TallaNasty

Recent NBA Jam Update

Post by TallaNasty »

The recent update has some really great features added, which should help with rage-quitters. After the update, I noticed a significant speed increase in all 3 games. The sound is a bit more choppy as well.

Anybody else notice?

Was this intended? Not trying to "pull a teddy" here.
CodeMystics

Re: Recent NBA Jam Update

Post by CodeMystics »

TallaNasty wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:58 am The recent update has some really great features added, which should help with rage-quitters. After the update, I noticed a significant speed increase in all 3 games. The sound is a bit more choppy as well.

Anybody else notice?

Was this intended? Not trying to "pull a teddy" here.
We've heard reports of this, though it's been a little sketchy on the specifics. We're trying to understand better what happened.

There appears to be a timing change that was made to the firmware that actually made the games about 10% faster (not slower), and will cause the audio to skip as a result. That part is understood.

What is still unclear are the reports of slowdown. If you have any insight to share we'd appreciate it. e.g. online only or offline too? Only if you enter your initials or always? etc.

Unfortunately it's not happening on our equipment. (There are certain things that happen between us delivering the game and Arcade1Up packaging the patch.) So we are trying to understand this second hand.
TallaNasty

Post by TallaNasty »

That's exactly what I'm referring to, which is the 10% time change.

As far as the slowdown goes, I've only been able to experience it once.
I joined a game with one of my "Favorites" (which allowed me to just automatically join without being accepted. Possibly due to the "allow favorites to auto join" setting). The game appeared to be at 10-15% speed, but was very consistent (no up/down in speed). Other than that, I've not experienced any other slowdowns.
NBA Jam Fan 2

New Patch Speeds up my Game

Post by NBA Jam Fan 2 »

Help. I just installed the new patch for the NBA Jam Arcade1up cab and all three games on the cabinet have sped up. This happens whether I enter my initials or not.
CodeMystics

Re: New Patch Speeds up my Game

Post by CodeMystics »

NBA Jam Fan 2 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:53 am Help. I just installed the new patch for the NBA Jam Arcade1up cab and all three games on the cabinet have sped up. This happens whether I enter my initials or not.
Hi, we have merged your post into this previous thread on the topic.

Arcade1Up is aware of the issue and has issued a new update just now to address it. (The issue is that their firmware was set to run at 60Hz while NBA Jam's arcade authentic speed is 54.7Hz. 60Hz is typical. 54.7Hz is not.)
TheBadGuy

Post by TheBadGuy »

Another problem that’s happening is I’ve been in severe online games where a player left allowing me to continue or leave without penalty. I stayed and finished but on 3 occasions when the game was over it went from “Bulls Win” to the main lobby and immediately penalized me. The first 10 mins then 30 and the latest was for 1 hour. Not sure what the hang up is but it’s frustrating to be the one penalized for staying so please get this fixed!

Thanks
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

TheBadGuy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:44 pm Another problem that’s happening is I’ve been in severe online games where a player left allowing me to continue or leave without penalty. I stayed and finished but on 3 occasions when the game was over it went from “Bulls Win” to the main lobby and immediately penalized me. The first 10 mins then 30 and the latest was for 1 hour. Not sure what the hang up is but it’s frustrating to be the one penalized for staying so please get this fixed!

Thanks
Thanks for the feedback. Can you detail what you mean by "it went from..."? The game should not exit on its own.

Did you get to the stats screen? Did you press a button to advance beyond the stats screen? Was another (third) player still present in the game? Which game was it (Jam, TE, or Hangtime)? If it was Hangtime, were you using a custom character?

When one player leaves, you have the option to leave the game immediately when they do or you can stay and finish playing. But if there are other players besides yourself present, staying and then deciding to leave later still counts as a penalty if you do not avail of the opportunity to leave immediately the same time the first player leaves.

If a game reaches "X Win" with other players present, you must still stay in-game until the stats are complete, or else you're leaving too early. This is mentioned in the Arcade1Up release notes.

However, if you attempt to leave the game prematurely, it will warn you. You must confirm the exit before you are penalised. If this did not happen and the problem occurs regularly, a video would be appreciated.