NBA Jam machine can't see WiFi netowrk

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
abcvalenti

NBA Jam machine can't see WiFi netowrk

Post by abcvalenti »

I opened a ticket with Arcade1Up back in June when I discovered this problem originally. I can provide that ticket number (which they just closed on me) if necessary. I have a Linksys WRT 32X router running OpenWRT 19.07.4 and for some reason the NBA Jam machine is unable to see the 2.4ghz network. I have even tried supplying the name manually, and the machine still refuses to acknowledge that the network exists. During the summer I was running a secondary access point on an old Netgear WNDR3700v2 also running the same version of OpenWRT and the machine could not only see, but connect to that access point just fine. Unfortunately, that access point died recently leaving me back where I started. Before it died though, I was able to get the summer update applied to the machine. I have plenty of other devices, from home automation devices to laptop computers to smart phones which can see and interact with the 2.4ghz network running on the Linksys router no problem. I'm out of ideas on what to do and searching around on the internet doesn't reveal anyone having an issue quite like this. I've also talked to people who are more networking savvy than I am and none of them had any ideas either.

I'm willing to do whatever troubleshooting is necessary to help solve this mystery. I'm hoping that you all have some ideas to help get this figured out, even if that resolution is that I have faulty NBA Jam hardware.
CodeMystics

Re: NBA Jam machine can't see WiFi netowrk

Post by CodeMystics »

If you're certain it's using 2.4GHz and not 5GHz, then it's potentially some incompatibility between the hardware. Unfortunately, that's not our area. We created the higher level software but the WiFi drivers and hardware modules were not us. There is the chance it's interference, so you could try adjusting positions of things. Also if it's convenient you could try attaching a USB Ethernet adapter to the cabinet and running with a wired connection.
abcvalenti

Post by abcvalenti »

Thanks for the reply. I do run both a 2.4ghz and 5ghz network and it can’t see either. Before my old access point died, I made sure that the settings between the two were the same as far as frequency and everything else. Both access points were in the same room (running different SSID’s) and the machine could still only see the older one. I have considered the hardwire option, but seeing as it could see my old router, I didn’t feel as though I should have to buy an adapter. Also, if I’m having this issue, it’s likely others are or will as more cabinets are sold. I’ve long suspected that it has something to do with the hardware and suggested the same to Arcade1Up. I will re-open my ticket and push for a resolution, especially now that you have confirmed that it’s nothing on your end.

Again, thank you for helping to narrow down where the issue lies. The machine plays great otherwise so I definitely appreciate all the hard work you put into making this an awesome cabinet!
abcvalenti

Post by abcvalenti »

I wanted to post an update about this in case others found my original post and were having the same issue that I was. After receiving a new PCB and antenna from Arcade1Up the issue still persisted. I decided to do further research into my router's hardware and found some information on OpenWRT's web page regarding this particular chip set and some system on a chip boards connecting to the 2.4GHZ network. I tried their workarounds and was able to get the cabinet connected! This issue is particular to certain Linksys routers running open source firmware (not the stock firmware), including at least OpenWRT and DD-WRT. The routers in question are WRT1200AC, WRT1900AC, WRT1900ACS, WRT3200ACM, and WRT32X. The solution is simple, just enable radio2 (which is really the third radio, since they are labeled radio0, radio1, and radio2). The mode can be either "Legacy" or "N" just as long as the Band is 2.4GHZ. I have mine set up with WPA2 encryption and the cabinet still can see, connect, and plays fine. The information that led me down the path to figure this out is specifically in this section, titled "ESP chip devices won't connect": https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_ ... ity_issues

Here's a couple of screen shots showing the radio in question and it's settings. Radio2:
OpenWRT_radio2.png
OpenWRT_radio2.png (8.25 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
Radio2 settings:
OpenWRT_radio2_settings.png
OpenWRT_radio2_settings.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
Hopefully this information helps save someone else some time and frustration.