Solutions for connection issues in Arcade1Up NBA Jam

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
Celticspride18

Re: Solutions for connection issues in Arcade1Up NBA Jam

Post by Celticspride18 »

After resetting my settings, I’m still having issues. And I too, get the following message after trying to join a game:

Sorry, the connection to Celticspride18 [me] was lost while trying to join the game."

For port forwarding, the only options I have are: FTP, HTTP, ICUII, IP Phone, Netmeeting/H.323, News, Quake II & III, Real Audio, Telnet, and VPN-PPTP. No UDP or TCP. I’m on FTP.
Furitaed

Post by Furitaed »

CodeMystics wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:32 pm
Furitaed wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:48 pm I haven't been able to connect to an online game at all since getting the cabinet on Monday.

I configured my WiFi settings in the cab and it was able to download the machine update with no problems.

Trying to connect to anyone's online game errors out as soon as the Joining progress bar shows up. It only moves a tiny bit on the progress bar and then bombs out with the message "Sorry, the connection to Furiated [me] was lost while trying to join the game."

I have a Comcast internet modem that is set to Bridge Mode and a Linksys EA6900 router. My Xbox is also connected to this router and shows Open NAT when I run the NAT test on it. I tried setting the NBA Jam cab to be in the DMZ, that didn't work. I tried adding Port Forwarding for port 1972 to the NBA Jam cab, that didn't work.

Is there anything else I can try?

Are there any updates being planned for the WiFi setting for the cab to make this easier for people to connect?

Thanks
Bridge mode may be the issue. There is no consistent defect that an update could address. Rather, outside the NAT restrictions, the issues that have been reported appear to be a result of uncommon network topologies. (With the port forwarding, you specified it to be UDP, correct?)

But to be clear when you try to connect to someone else's game it claims its trying to connect to you? Is this other machine you're trying to connect to also on the same network?

As above, we could also set up a session where you try to connect to one of our systems, or we try to connect to yours, and see what we can learn from our session diagnostics.
My Comcast modem is also a router, and it used to cause lots of NAT issues with my Xbox. I didn't even know it was also a router until I was trying to troubleshoot Xbox network issues and someone pointed it out and said I might be behind a double NAT. I was always getting Strict or Moderate NAT until I set my Comcast modem/router to Bridge Mode to make it just a modem and turn the router functions off. Now my Xbox shows Open NAT.

For my Port Forwarding, I had it set to Both. Should I have it set to UDP only?

And to clarify on the error messages, when it's trying to join, it shows the other persons's name. Like, Joining JDawg's Game, or whatever their name is. But when it fails to connect and I get the error message, it says that the error was connecting to Furiated [me]. So yeah it's weird because it suggests that the error was me trying to connect to me.

On an interesting note, I had someone successfully join my game earlier today. When I first got the cab and set up networking, I had one player try to join me multiple times but it failed each time. Then after making the DMZ and Port Forwarding changes, this new person tried to join and was successful. I'm not sure if the two are connected and I don't have a large sample size, but it might have helped with people joining my game. I still have no luck joining someone else's game.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Furitaed wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:18 pmMy Comcast modem is also a router, and it used to cause lots of NAT issues with my Xbox.
That is also a very likely problem. You would need to have the Comcast modem forward port 1972 to the LinkSys router, too. That is the Comcast modem needs to forward port 1972 to your LinkSys at the LinkSys's IP address as the Comcast modem sees it, and then the LinkSys needs to forward the port to the NBA Jam cabinet. It sounds like you only have the second half of that configured, at present.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

For others that may be experiencing this problem, we are suspecting that some connections or WiFi devices with limited bandwidth may have trouble during the "join" progress bar stage, which is the most demanding stage of connecting to another game. Anyone who is experiencing similar issues, please report your bandwidth (upstream and downstream), your WiFi brand, and your modem brand. Please also let us know the Public Name you assigned to your machine so we can look it up.

You may also find benefit to using a wired connection, if that's an option for you. More information here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAymQDMEFM
NBA Jam Fan 2

Post by NBA Jam Fan 2 »

Hello there. I am experiencing similar problems. My bandwidth is 9mbps down and 1.9mbps up. I live out in the country and I use a local internet provider named NexGenAccess http://www.nexgenaccess.com/ The internet is transmitted wirelessly therefore I have an antenna attached to the top of my house. Connected to that antenna is an ethernet cable which then goes into a small white modem which says this on it "Tranzeo Wireless Technologies Inc." on it. Then an ethernet cable from that goes into my Dlink wireless 4 port router. It is the DIR-619L. I have tried port forwarding port 1972, also setting my NBA Jam cab to the DMZ. None of that worked. I also tried both of those things at once. I have tried to connect with a wired connection both to the router and directly to the modem. I can see the leaderboards and I can see who is online, I even downloaded the patch, but I cannot join anyone's game, the status bar just sits there. I have spoken to my ISP over the phone and they do not know what the problem is. Oh, and my average ping is between 8ms and 22ms. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
NBA Jam Fan 2

Post by NBA Jam Fan 2 »

I just wanted to add that my name I use on the NBA Jam cab is sling spade

I would be willing to try and set a time up to connect and try to run some diagnostics if that is possible.
NBA Jam Fan 2

Post by NBA Jam Fan 2 »

I also wanted to ask if you think it is my internet speed. I could easily upgrade to 13mbps down and 2.8mbps up if you think that would help.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

NBA Jam Fan 2 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:48 am I also wanted to ask if you think it is my internet speed. I could easily upgrade to 13mbps down and 2.8mbps up if you think that would help.
Before customers go to any expense, we want to investigate the problem. We will likely reach out to you soon to perform some tests, but first we're doing some internal investigations based on the data we have so far.
Cwilliams

Post by Cwilliams »

Hello, I have dropped my NBA Jam into the DMZ, but I can still only connect to a game about 1 out of 15 tries. Does this mean that the people that I'm trying to connect with haven't gone through the steps? Any help would be appreciated! My public name is KMD Williams. Thanks!
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

NBA Jam Fan 2 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:48 am I also wanted to ask if you think it is my internet speed. I could easily upgrade to 13mbps down and 2.8mbps up if you think that would help.
NBA Jam Fan 2 and Cwilliams, please see your Private Messages on this forum.