Solutions for connection issues in Arcade1Up NBA Jam

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
BoomSchtick

Re: Solutions for connection issues in Arcade1Up NBA Jam

Post by BoomSchtick »

CodeMystics wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:44 am
BoomSchtick wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 am I have several port forwards working (like Plex,) so I copied the firewall rule for Plex and just modified the port and the destination IP. That does not appear to be working. Of the dozens of times, I've tried to join someone else's game, I have only been able to join one and it was pretty laggy.\

I can see all of the multi-player games available, but when I try to join one, it sits for a time and tells me that the game is no longer available.
Two things to check:
  1. Make sure it's a UDP port, not a TCP port you've set up in the port forwarding. Plex uses TCP. NBA Jam uses UDP.
  2. Make sure the arcade cabinet's IP is fixed so that your rule always points to the machine. A dynamic IP might make it a moving target.
You will see the list of games whether or not your port forwarding is set up correctly, as that uses a mechanism more like a web browser, which doesn't need special rules.
I did for sure change it to UDP. I also tried tcp/udp, but didn't have any different results.
I did create a static DHCP for 10.3.0.55 and I verified that's the IP that the cab has by pinging it and turning the machine off. As soon as the machine turns off the pings stop and they pick back up when I power on the machine. I added a screenshot of the firewall rule. pfSense doesn't do UPnP, so getting consoles to work can be a challenge, but if a simple port forward of port 1972 is all it should take, I think I have done that.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-01 214937.png
Screenshot 2021-01-01 214937.png (29.64 KiB) Viewed 12796 times
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

BoomSchtick wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm
CodeMystics wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:44 am
BoomSchtick wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 am I have several port forwards working (like Plex,) so I copied the firewall rule for Plex and just modified the port and the destination IP. That does not appear to be working. Of the dozens of times, I've tried to join someone else's game, I have only been able to join one and it was pretty laggy.\

I can see all of the multi-player games available, but when I try to join one, it sits for a time and tells me that the game is no longer available.
Two things to check:
  1. Make sure it's a UDP port, not a TCP port you've set up in the port forwarding. Plex uses TCP. NBA Jam uses UDP.
  2. Make sure the arcade cabinet's IP is fixed so that your rule always points to the machine. A dynamic IP might make it a moving target.
You will see the list of games whether or not your port forwarding is set up correctly, as that uses a mechanism more like a web browser, which doesn't need special rules.
I did for sure change it to UDP. I also tried tcp/udp, but didn't have any different results.
I did create a static DHCP for 10.3.0.55 and I verified that's the IP that the cab has by pinging it and turning the machine off. As soon as the machine turns off the pings stop and they pick back up when I power on the machine. I added a screenshot of the firewall rule. pfSense doesn't do UPnP, so getting consoles to work can be a challenge, but if a simple port forward of port 1972 is all it should take, I think I have done that.
Depending on the router, you may have to set the source port too. Does the main menu show your visibility status on the lower left of the screen or does it report an issue?
BoomSchtick

Post by BoomSchtick »

I'm just getting back to this.

I have attached some screen shots of trying to connect to a game, failing, and the status screen.

I'd love some suggestions anyone might have.
Attachments
IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7253.jpg (147.53 KiB) Viewed 12612 times
IMG_7255.jpg
IMG_7255.jpg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 12612 times
IMG_7254.jpg
IMG_7254.jpg (182.82 KiB) Viewed 12612 times
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Try connecting your cabinet directly to the Internet outside your router, to eliminate the possibility that the router is responsible. e.g. It could be your ISP causing the problem.
BoomSchtick

Post by BoomSchtick »

My ISP is Comcast. I'm sure there are lots of people using this on Comcast. it's probably something to do with my firewall (pfSense.) I don't use a consumer router like most people. I was just hoping that you'd have a suggestion on how to get past this problem with pfSense.

I have been able to join a remote game a total of one time, so I know that it is possible. <sigh>
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

BoomSchtick wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 pm My ISP is Comcast. I'm sure there are lots of people using this on Comcast. it's probably something to do with my firewall (pfSense.) I don't use a consumer router like most people. I was just hoping that you'd have a suggestion on how to get past this problem with pfSense.

I have been able to join a remote game a total of one time, so I know that it is possible. <sigh>
Unfortunately, we don't have familiarity with every brand of router, but the thought was that removing the router would confirm what has so far been assumed. It's helpful to confirm these things to be sure effort is being focused in the right direction. (BTW, UPnP is not used in this device, so that's not a factor.)

We will continue to work with you on diagnostics via private messaging.