Super Star Wars is broken :(

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
krae_man

Super Star Wars is broken :(

Post by krae_man »

This place doesn't look too active but hey I'll give it a shot.

I'm a huge fan of Super Star Wars, it was the first SNES game I have played and I've played it hundreds upon hundreds of times. I've played it recently including beating it on Jedi mode:

I was super super excited when I found out the game was coming to PS4 and I bought it as soon as I got home from work today and I'm sorry to say I'm really, really disappointed. It's just unplayable in it's current state.

The main problem seems to be the original slowdown has been removed which unfortunately has wide ranging consequences

-projectile attacks are too fast to dodge
-enemies respawn too quickly(no reprieve from those dive bombing jerks while jumping across the pit before Obi Wan)
-inside the sandcrawler near the end where those things that squash you are, you slide too far and take damage from the next one no matter what
-I took a header into one of the force fields way too many times before it would let me through
-I landed in the spikes in Mos Eisley due to jumping down from the platform above somehow and had my health drained in a nano second(was playing on Brave)

There are other problems I've noticed too:

-I fell in the lava while fighting the lava pit monster and didn't die(Although I do recall that did happen on occasion in the original)
-You seem to keep your point bonus multiplier for the rest of a level. I got an 8x point bonus a couple times and it continued the rest of the level
-Thermal detonators didn't blow up the brown block things.
-This:

That's all I can think of right now. Mos Eisley is as far as I've been able to get without rage quitting.
CodeMystics

Re: Super Star Wars is broken :(

Post by CodeMystics »

We do value your feedback and thank you for the detailed report. We will be reviewing these issues internally.

We have endeavoured to tune the timing against playthroughs of the original game, but we will take a look at the areas you note to see if further adjustments are required.

Edit: we do note that the last bug you report exists in the original. There is the a limit to the number of ports that could be broken at once. We verified this in testing with the original SNES cart we had available to us. It's somewhat obscure as it requires deliberate attacks on many more ports than needed to complete the level.
krae_man

Post by krae_man »

There's some other stuff I noticed:

-the 10 scorpions and 50 odd womprats in the first level you kill for the gun powerups spawn way, way faster
-After you have killed the required number of jawas in the land speeder levels, the amount of time you have to fly using your jets to complete the level is a fraction of what it takes in the original(It takes like 2-3 seconds instead of I don't know, way, way longer)
-The framerate doesn't chug like crazy while jumping across the lava right before the lava boss

Regarding your "you can only destroy so many ports at once bug existed in the original" comment. I don't recall every being unable to destroy every port in that first wheel thing. Are the projectiles continuing on and destroying ports off screen they don't do in the original? I don't recall this bug in the original and I've noticed multiple ports I couldn't destroy in my two times playing the level so far. It's not working like it did in the original I guess.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Again, we did confirm the port issue on an original SNES version of the game. There is more than one version of the original ROM. Perhaps it does not occur in the version you have.

This is one of the things we'll have to consider when looking into these reports... whether it's an issue that did exist in the original game, but not all versions.
krae_man

Post by krae_man »

Another thing I noticed is the Sarlacc boss doesn't have a tell anymore. There were times he popped up immediately after diving and him sticking his arm up to give you a warning either doesn't happen or happens so quickly and he pops up so fast after it happens it's not a tell anymore.

Additional info on the multiplier bug. I got a multiplier bonus after a previous 8x multiplier expired(or more accurately should have expired since I was still getting 8x points after the on screen indication of the bonus ended) and the multiplier that appeared on screen was 8x again immediately instead of 2x like it should be.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

krae_man wrote:Another thing I noticed is the Sarlacc boss doesn't have a tell anymore. There were times he popped up immediately after diving and him sticking his arm up to give you a warning either doesn't happen or happens so quickly and he pops up so fast after it happens it's not a tell anymore.

Additional info on the multiplier bug. I got a multiplier bonus after a previous 8x multiplier expired(or more accurately should have expired since I was still getting 8x points after the on screen indication of the bonus ended) and the multiplier that appeared on screen was 8x again immediately instead of 2x like it should be.
The Sarlacc tell is definitely there. We will investigate if there is a timing issue. Are you playing on PS4 or Vita?

Thanks for the additional information on the multiplier issue.
krae_man

Post by krae_man »

Here is some other stuff I noticed:

https://twitter.com/krae_man/status/667196943551057920

https://twitter.com/krae_man/status/667197547849474049

https://twitter.com/krae_man/status/667198123836620801

Also the leaderboards are broken.

As you can see in this playthrough(which was on easy) I exploited the crap out of the multiplier staying for the duration of the level bug and finished the game with a score of 636000 or so( I forget the exact amount), and I'm nowhere on the leaderboard when I should be #1.

Experienced the thermal detonators not destroying destructible environment things in escape from mos eisley as well. Those tiny flashing things that blow up did nothing when thermal detonators are used.

Trench felt slower as well. It felt like the timer went slower and the enemies and fireballs were slower and easier as well. The previous level though, oh my god, It was way, way too fast and enemeis attack way way too much. I was dying from getting shot constantly. On easy the only risk of death I should have faced was crashing into a tower, not getting shot. The ratio of what I killed(TIE vs Tower) was really unbalanced most of my deaths. One time I killed 20 ties and still had 15 towers, another destroyed 20 towers but still needed to kill 17 ties.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

The timing of overruns on the original SNES are going to be dependent on game play style and the particulars of your session. They cannot be replicated on a PS4/Vita port precisely.

For example, on the trench run we recorded timing of both our play sessions and also took measurements off various YouTube play-throughs. The replication in the PS4/Vita port then represented the average play speed of these measurements, which individually deviated by +/- a few percent. If you have a particularly different play style and/or are very attuned to deviations of a few percent, you will probably notice a difference, though it is, for the average user, very subtle. These are the limitations of ports.

That is not to say errors in timing replication were not made, and we will review the issues you raise, as well as the practical issues (such as the multiplier, thermal detonator, etc.) you've identified.

Regarding the leaderboards, the scores posted were legitimately earned, by whatever means. There are a few open ended scoring opportunities documented in game play secrets that may help explain how others scored higher.

Regarding your captures above, can you please let us know whether the green corruption is a result of the GIF-making process and not something you observed in-game?
krae_man

Post by krae_man »

The green is my crappy gif making skills.

You misunderstood my leaderboard issue.I know full well how scoring in the game works and exploited the crap out of
a) the multiplier glitch
b) the almost endless re spawning enemies
c) the cave with 7 1ups so I got the 9900 point lives bonus every level after it.
d)I know I could have just not headed towards the sand crawler till my mind went numb to rack up "infinate" points if I really, really wanted but didn't need to

and finished with a score 20k higher then the #1 score at the time and my score isn't there. Again this was on an easy playthrough.
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

Did you have any cheats active? Scores earned while any cheats are active do not qualify for the Leaderboard.

If not that, it may have been a connectivity issue.

For completed games, final scores are reported to the Leaderboard at the conclusion of the exhaust port cutscene.