Atari Flashback Nintendo Switch Issues

Having an issue with one of our games? Browse this section for answers to common problems, or post your own questions to get support from us.
gkarris

Atari Flashback Nintendo Switch Issues

Post by gkarris »

Thanks for releasing the Switch version - it is great to take it on the road and have real controllers.

I finally managed to find a physical copy - hard to find around where I live.

Some issues I found:

Astroblast - the left joystick doesn't work properly.

5200 games - unfortunately seem to work like the real controller that re-centers and the object moves back to match. Should be fixable in the control panel.

Would be nice if Tempest can be rotated like the Arcade screen (kudos for Centipede and have the bottom joycon still work properly attached and can be played that way, with Donkey Kong Arcade it seems you have to detach the controller to have it work in Portrait).

All I can think of now - hope there will be updates!
CodeMystics

Re: Atari Flashback Nintendo Switch Issues

Post by CodeMystics »

gkarris wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:50 am Thanks for releasing the Switch version - it is great to take it on the road and have real controllers.

I finally managed to find a physical copy - hard to find around where I live.

Some issues I found:

Astroblast - the left joystick doesn't work properly.

5200 games - unfortunately seem to work like the real controller that re-centers and the object moves back to match. Should be fixable in the control panel.

Would be nice if Tempest can be rotated like the Arcade screen (kudos for Centipede and have the bottom joycon still work properly attached and can be played that way, with Donkey Kong Arcade it seems you have to detach the controller to have it work in Portrait).

All I can think of now - hope there will be updates!
Can you elaborate what you mean by "the left joystick doesn't work properly" in Astroblast? Astroblast is a paddle game, and so the joystick is imitating the paddle, as it does in Pong Sports, etc. You can adjust its response in the Controls menu (both sensitivity and whether it causes absolute or relative motion). Though, we find the touch screen is the best way to control the shooter.

Regarding the 5200 games, yes, since the original games had an analogue stick and the Switch has an analogue stick, the controls function as the original did. Additionally some games (like Missile Command) mimic the Trak-Ball device via touch screen.
gkarris

Post by gkarris »

CodeMystics wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 am Can you elaborate what you mean by "the left joystick doesn't work properly" in Astroblast? Astroblast is a paddle game, and so the joystick is imitating the paddle, as it does in Pong Sports, etc. You can adjust its response in the Controls menu (both sensitivity and whether it causes absolute or relative motion). Though, we find the touch screen is the best way to control the shooter.

Regarding the 5200 games, yes, since the original games had an analogue stick and the Switch has an analogue stick, the controls function as the original did. Additionally some games (like Missile Command) mimic the Trak-Ball device via touch screen.

Thanks for the fast response.

I've always used Astroblast with a joystick (box says it can use both) so I will try adjusting the sensitivity.

Unfortunately, the auto-re-centering of the 5200 is what made many of the games unplayable. You may want to add a setting that changes it to just a non-re-centering or regular joystick (the 5200 had a prototype joystick that was just a 8 directional one that supposedly worked well).
gkarris

Post by gkarris »

gkarris wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:53 amThanks for the fast response.

I've always used Astroblast with a joystick (box says it can use both) so I will try adjusting the sensitivity.

Unfortunately, the auto-re-centering of the 5200 is what made many of the games unplayable. You may want to add a setting that changes it to just a non-re-centering or regular joystick (the 5200 had a prototype joystick that was just a 8 directional one that supposedly worked well).
The game I'm talking about is Missle Command 5200 - the re-centering of the joystick and resetting of the game cursor makes the game un-playable. There needs to be a "relative" setting to make the joystick act like the Arcade and 2600 versions...
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

gkarris wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 am
gkarris wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:53 amThanks for the fast response.

The game I'm talking about is Missle Command 5200 - the re-centering of the joystick and resetting of the game cursor makes the game un-playable. There needs to be a "relative" setting to make the joystick act like the Arcade and 2600 versions...
For better or worse, these are meant to be authentic recreations of the original game experiences. That said, in the Switch version, the non-centring version of the controls are on the touch screen, which imitates the Trak-Ball accessory. On PS4, it's the touchpad.

Regarding Tempest and Astroblast, we'll likely be issuing a patch due to a leaderboard issue in Baseball, so we'll see what we can do to incorporate improvements for those two.
gkarris

Post by gkarris »

CodeMystics wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 am
For better or worse, these are meant to be authentic recreations of the original game experiences. That said, in the Switch version, the non-centring version of the controls are on the touch screen, which imitates the Trak-Ball accessory. On PS4, it's the touchpad.

Regarding Tempest and Astroblast, we'll likely be issuing a patch due to a leaderboard issue in Baseball, so we'll see what we can do to incorporate improvements for those two.

Thanks.

Please consider a "relative" control patch for Missle Command 5200 - I don't like touchscreen games which is why I have a Switch with real controls.

Astroblast works fine when I add the "relative" setting and turn sensitivity down so that doesn't really need a patch...

Tempest in its original Portrait Mode would be awesome, thanks...
gkarris

Post by gkarris »

thanks for fixing Tempest...

This is an awesome retro game pack on the Switch too nonetheless...
CodeMystics

Post by CodeMystics »

gkarris wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:57 am Please consider a "relative" control patch for Missle Command 5200 - I don't like touchscreen games which is why I have a Switch with real controls.
In the next patch, we've implemented a compromise: the D-pad buttons act as relative motion in Missile Command and Super Breakout on the 5200 but the stick is still absolute.